Carnegie Science Center, Children's Museum of Pittsburgh, Star Wars Day, Del Grossos Amusement Park, Port Discovery, Maryland Science Center, and Smith Memorial Playhouse (it was raining when we were in Philly). I am planning to take the kids to Port Discovery and the Maryland Science Center in October since we didn't go when I had planned to this summer. Del Grossos, Star Wars Day, and picking raspberries will have to wait until next year. I had planned to take the kids on an overnight trip to Pittsburgh, but I am postponing that in light of our trip to Ohio. I am now planning to take the kids to two museums in Cleveland on our way to or from Sandusky.
Of the 100 things on our (revised) list we have completed about 70 of them thus far. Several will not take place until September such as Mystic Seaport, Thomas Land, Museum of Science (Boston), Boston Tea Party Ships, Plimoth Plantation, Children's Museum of Cape Cod, building a sand castle, collecting seashells, fly a kite on the beach, and swimming in the ocean. I had planned on taking the kids on a one or two day trip to a beach in Delaware, New Jersey, or Maryland, but in light of our plans to spend a week on Cape Cod, I'm scrapping that idea. The things on our list that are not scheduled yet (meaning I need to put more effort in to make sure they happen) include: eating at Friendly's and Bonanza, teaching Oliver his letters and numbers (he's half-way there), bowling, eating plums and nectarines, Nadia learning to jump rope (she has worked on that a little), eating BLTs, throwing water balloons, miniature golf, and doing puzzles. There is a plan in place for completing the other items on the list. This weekend we should be crossing two items off the list - attending the Acorn Family Festival today (art and music activities for the kids) and seeing a production of Peter Pan at the Community Arts Center in Williamsport tomorrow afternoon. We are planning to join the Acorn Festival twice today because this evening they are having a big band concert with ballroom dancing, and all the events are free. Ballroom dancing isn't on the list, but I think all five of us will enjoy it.Nadia and Ian really enjoyed the softball/baseball clinic. Nadia scored two runs on Thursday night. There were three "professionals" there helping with the clinic - two former MLB players (Doug Simons and Don Gordon) and a PSU football captain who recently tried out with the Baltimore Ravens (Ryan Keiser). Nadia and Ian both say they want to play on a Little League team. Nadia has asked me multiple times. She says she'd rather play softball that soccer. I already registered her for soccer, and the fee is for the whole year, but we can consider switching next spring. Claire (her friend) was telling me they also have fall ball for softball (news to me), but if we have either (or both) join a Little League team it won't be until 2017. Two things I had looked into in the past but opted not to have the kids do were Little League and a swim team. I think swimming is where Nadia has the most talent when it comes to a sport, but when I found out how many days a week they practice I wasn't interested. The same went for Little League. Basketball is a two day a week commitment (one day for practice and Saturday for the game). Soccer is a 2-3 day a week commitment (1-2 days for practice and Saturdays for games). Baseball/softball involves more practices and games a week than those. Plus I think the kids get more exercise with basketball and soccer than with baseball/softball (less time running), and also as a fan it's less exciting to watch. But if Nadia really wants to play on a softball team and does that instead of soccer, I might be willing to sign her up for a season of Little League. We shall see. At least the practices are very, very close to our house (we walk there). Nadia was disappointed when I told her that their "camps" were done for the year. She thought summer was over. Nope not yet, but when it comes to camps, VBS, and lessons (diving, tennis, swimming, etc.) we are almost done. Next week Nadia has diving lessons and Ian has his second week of Level 2 swimming lessons, and then we are totally done. I am relieved because it means more relaxed mornings (instead of working to get everyone out the door by 8:30 many mornings) and also more relaxed evenings (instead of rushing to get everyone fed and out the door for VBS, baseball clinic, etc.). Since we homeschool usually the only day of the week we are rushing out the door in the morning is on Sundays for church. I definitely prefer that schedule. I am very ready to spend more time at home after we get back from our trip to Ohio.



1 comment:
Wow! I thought we had a long summer bucket list! Sounds like a busy summer!
Post a Comment