Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Blueberries, baseball, bikes, and more

Yesterday I had five children for 7 1/2 hours because two of Nadia's friends from church joined us for the day. The kids played together here at home, and then after I fed them lunch I took them all swimming. We weren't able to stay at the pool quite as long as planned because there was a thunderstorm, but that gave them a little more time to play at home before I took them back to their house (which is less than a mile from ours). Claire will be turning 9 in September, and she is going into third grade like Nadia. Sophie turned 7 in May, and she's going into second grade. Nadia is 10 months younger than Claire and 11 months older than Sophie. Sophie is 7 months older than Ian. Previously Nadia had only invited Claire over, but this time I invited both girls over because I thought it was better to do it that way because their brother is 13 years old. I think if we only invite Claire we are taking away Sophie's playmate. The four kids got along well together (and sometimes Oliver joined in). After they had been playing with play food and went to switch to something else I heard Claire say, "Shouldn't we clean this up first." Music to my ears! All the kids then helped clean up the mess. Way to go, Claire!

I had been asking Ian periodically to go off the diving board, but he hadn't been interested thus far. Well yesterday when Nadia, Sophie, and Claire were jumping off of it, he finally decided to give it a try. I was there in the deep end ready to help him, but he didn't need my help. I stayed there for about the first three jumps and then left the deep end because I was confident he would do fine. That boy kept jumping and jumping again and again and again (with a few actual dives thrown in the mix). He did the same today. He spent most of the time in the deep end! What a difference from last year!!! Yesterday we were the only people at the pool so Tommy got in and played with the kids (sprayed them with a garden hose, threw them into the water, etc.), and at the end he gave them an impromptu diving lesson. Oliver keeps saying he wants to dive. He makes many trips to the end of the diving board but thus far hasn't jumped off of it yet. I'm sure his day will come. Next week Nadia will be taking her first ever week of diving lessons, and Ian will be having his second week of Level 2 swimming lessons. I think next year I'll have him also take diving lessons now that he's gotten so much braver!

Last night Nadia and Ian had their first night of the baseball (Ian)/ softball (Nadia) clinic. It lasts for 2 1/2 hours for four nights, but they will be skipping Wednesday night due to the summer musical rehearsal. They both really enjoyed it. I asked Paul to come home by 5:30 so that Oliver wouldn't have to go and hang out for that whole time. Last night I took them, and Oliver got to enjoy  2 1/2 hours with his dad one on one which is a very rare treat. Tonight I stayed home with Oliver so that Paul could watch them play baseball (their request). Yesterday at 8:30 before the girls came over the kids and I were outside. Oliver is definitely making progress with learning to ride a tricycle or 2 wheel bike (with training wheels). Yay! I love being able to watch them learn new skills and see them do things for the first time (like diving!).  Granted the neighbor boy who is the same age as Oliver has been riding without training wheels for a long time, but still he's going in the right direction. Oliver is getting braver in the water and finally submerging his entire head. He is spending a lot more of his time in the pool without his inner tube one (thanks to the section that is only 2 feet deep).

This morning we left the house around 8:30 to go first to the berry farm to pick blueberries. We went early to beat the 90+ degree heat (only in the 70's when we were there). We didn't pick as many as last year, but we did pick almost 3 pounds, and I know Nadia will eat most of them. Blueberries are her most favorite fruit, and one of her most favorite foods. Next I took the kids to the theater; it was their first trip to a movie theater this year. Some of the $1 movies playing other weeks were more appealing to me, but this was the only week it worked with our schedule. The kids enjoyed "Shaun the sheep" which lasted about 80 minutes. Oliver sat on my lap, Nadia sat on my right, and Ian sat on my left. Then we made a quick stop at Toys R Us for Oliver to get his birthday balloon, crown, etc. before we headed home for lunch. After lunch we went swimming. I have taken Wendy's (good) advice that since I am unable to run due to Paul's work schedule, I have started swimming some laps while I am at the pool with the kids. This will only be possible for another four weeks, but some exercise is better than nothing!

Oliver has gotten back in the habit of taking a daily nap. I am not sure if this will continue after swimming season ends, but for now he takes a nap on the way home from the pool and finishes the nap in the van (with the van doors open so he doesn't overheat). He usually wakes up around 5:00pm. Nadia hasn't napped in years, but she has also been napping the past four days since we picked her up from camp. She also has been falling asleep in the van most of the time, but today she went up to her bedroom at 4pm after we got home from swimming and fell asleep in her bed. I woke her up at 4:55 so she would have time to eat dinner before heading to softball. I think she didn't get as much sleep as usual at camp and is still making up for what she lost last week. This evening Oliver and I enjoyed playing Candyland four times in addition to play-doh, reading books, riding his bikes, and working on his alphabet while Nadia and Ian were at baseball. Somehow I managed to win every game. What a fluke! Anyhow he thankfully is at the age where he does understand how to play the game (mostly) but doesn't care who wins and was genuinely happy for me.

I have had the hardest time figuring out what to get this guy for his birthday. I wasn't surprised that I had a hard time figuring it out when he turned 2 and 3, but I thought by the age of 4 it would be easier. Nope. Since he's the third child and second boy, it's really a challenge. Plus (thankfully!) he has not reached the age where he asks for things. Every time I ask him what gifts he wants for his birthday he only tells me - Elmo cake, Elmo party hats, and an Elmo balloon. So I ended up buying him some Play-doh (so I can replace some of ours that should be tossed), more color tablets for the bathtub (he loves the ones Grandma got him for Easter), and a big container of goldfish crackers (something he loves that I rarely buy). He's going to have more guests than usual at his party because my sister and her family plus Grandpa, Grandma, and Pop Pop are coming to celebrate prior to our trip to Ohio. Hopefully I'll have better ideas before Christmas as to what to get this sweet boy. Thus far I have a hard time coming up with ideas!













No comments: