Thursday, June 16, 2011

It's Important

1. It's imperative to sing while feeding Ian. I haven't bought the special yogurt yet (need to go to a different store that carries it), but I have tried feeding him before he drinks his EleCare as well as after he drinks his EleCare. It turns out the method we've been using (drink, eat 5-6; bites, drink, 5-6 bites, etc.) is the best. However the trick to reducing the crying is for me to sing. This works even better if Nadia also sings along with me. He finds that even more amusing.

2. The most important part of VBS is snack time. I have asked her a million questions about what she's been doing each night. The most detailed report is about the snack, which was a cupcake with strawberry jam on Tuesday night. I can see why she didn't elaborate about yesterday's Bible story because it was about Jonah and the whale - her biggest fear in life. Ian has had a blast playing with the craft they made. The big fish was a paper plate with a fin attached (which Nadia colored), and they cut a ltitle slit in the plate and put a plastic spoon in it and put a face on the spoon to represent Jonah. Ian loves it, and it's been good practice for his fine motor skills to work on putting the spoon in the slit.

I wonder what they're thinking.
3. It's important to change a baby's diaper more frequently when a catheter is involved. Ian has been wearing a few outfits a day either because the catheter has been pointing in the wrong direction (I'm getting better at that) or because his diaper has leaked. It seems that one small area gets too soaked with a cathether whereas with a diaper a larger part of the diaper gets wet and thus it isn't so prone to leaking.

4. It's really important to have the time when no diaper is under Ian be as brief as possible because that catheter seems to drain at least a little every time. I wish they had given me a cap for the catheter like the first urologist did. What a mess.

5. Even if I'm putting Nadia to bed later than usual, it's still important to follow our usual routine. About an hour after I put her down last night she woke up and started screaming at the top of her lungs that we hadn't prayed. Then after we prayed she reminded me I hadn't read to her either. So tonight and tomorrow night even though she'll be coming home after the time she's usually in bed, I will pray with her and read to her before putting her to bed. Lesson learned.

6. It's important to consider students with special needs when designing an online course. A student who will be taking one of my online courses starting on July 6 let me know today that she is deaf. I had planned to do the synchronous class sessions from home (via my webcam), but I don't think that will work. I need to find an interpreter. I'm guessing I'll need to conduct this session from campus although I had originally planned to do it from home.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Just a thought about that student who is deaf: is it your responsibility to change the whole course from online to classroom because of her? I would think even someone in her family could sit with her while she's listening to the lectures and interpret for her, or that she'd hire an interpreter for an hour or two that could come with her to her home or wherever she'll be getting the lectures.

I probably didn't say the most politically correct thing, but it seems a little extreme for you to have to change your whole course for one student, especially when it seems that even a family member could help her out?

Maybe that's not the way things are done... I don't know! :)

Joanna said...

And I just reread your problem and saw that the lectures are not online. Oops. Sorry! I should have read more closely.

But I still stick with my original point: I would think the obligation to find an interpreter is on the student, not the professor? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong--I'd like to learn too!

TylerandBrianne said...

Have you ever tried letting him watch a dvd while eating? It is the only way I can get Bailey to eat anything. She is still only eating 6 oz of baby food a day. I got the DVD idea from a feeding support group.