Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Ian chasing Fergie on Christmas morning
At the mall on 12/27
1. I am grateful for the life and ministry of a dear woman, Kathy Brown, who passed away on Tuesday night. I had Mrs. Brown as one of my middle school teachers when I was in 6th-8th grade (1983-1986), and then she was the administrator (at the same school) during my first two years as a teacher (1992-1994). I also sang alto in the church choir with her from 1986-1990 and 1992-1994. If I had to pick my three favorite teachers from Kindergarten through high school, she would definitely be one of them. She was also an outstanding boss. My heart is aching for her husband, children, and grandchildren. I am guessing she was in her 60's when she passed away. Knowing the physical suffering she has gone through the last two years makes it easier to handle her death. I know for certain she is feeling MUCH better in Heaven today than she has the past few years as she's dealt with Amyloidosis and other illnesses.

I put Susie's hair in curlers on 12/22.






2. I'm thankful that Ian is now sleeping 11-11.75 hours at night. What an improvement! Last night he went to bed at 7:15pm, and he got up at 7:00am this morning. I have to give the boy credit because in her 2.5 years Nadia has never had a regular wake-up time as late as Ian, who now usually gets up between 7-7:30am. We usually put him down on his back these days. One day this week I put him down on his belly, and he got up into a sitting position and fell asleep sitting up. There have been times I've fallen asleep sitting in a chair or in the car, but I don't ever recall falling asleep sitting up in the middle of my bed, lol. I am hoping next month to get Nadia on a schedule of going to bed at 8pm and not getting up any sooner than 7am.

3. I love the funny things that Nadia says which make me laugh or smile every day. One morning this week I was talking about football with her. I told her that Mommy cheers for the Steelers, and Daddy cheers for the Giants. I then asked her which team she likes, and she said "The cat in the hat." LOL!
Rachel (19 months) making Christmas cookies!


4. I'm very thankful that Paul has not been to PSU since 12/16, and he won't be heading back there until 1/17. That will be his longest break of making that commute since he started his PhD there in August 2008. We're saving a lot of money on gasoline for one thing. It's also great to have him home albeit he's in his office working on the computer many, many hours a day (which is good because we want him to graduate asap!).

5. On Monday when we made a much needed trip to the grocery store, I perused the Christmas items that were marked down 80% or more. I bought a stuffed snowman for $1.99 (originally $9.99). He looks so cute sitting on the top of our toilet in the half-bathroom which also has a snowman rug during the winter months. He's not Christmasy so I plan to leave him out a few more months (he has a light blue scarf which matches the bathroom perfectly). Every time I look at him, I smile - a well spent $2.11 (when you add in sales tax).

Nadia making her very first Christmas cookie!


6. It was great to spend time with many of our relatives last week.

7. I am thankful for all the new gifts we received. I've already used my new crockpot, the kids have worn some of their new clothing, they've had fun playing with new toys, etc. The Wii is partially set up. I'm looking forward to using that in the near future.

8. I love the new pictures of Nadia that Wendy took. I can't wait to order some and put them in frames around our house, on our refrigerator, in my wallet, etc. Thanks, Wendy! I also am grateful that she showed me some tricks for using the photo editing software that I purchased in May but have yet to start using.

9. I'm thankful that normally Ian is in a pleasant mood. I say that because the past two days he has cried for a large portion of the day. I have lost track of how many times the poor guy has thrown up this week. It's been almost nonstop. Both kids have been sick.


Wendy, Susie, and I wore matching clothes on 12/23!

Ian with his cousin, Brandi (16)
Christmas caroling in my parent's neighborhood on 12/23
We asked Nadia to hug Ian, lol!

Aunt Wendy reading to Ian at our parents house on 12/23



P.S. Yesterday I updated the text of Nadia's 2.5 year old post in case you're interested. :-)

No comments: