Tuesday, January 14, 2014

First two sentences!

Oliver's four favorite words are "mama," "dada", "yes," and "eh" (the sound he makes when he points to whatever he wants). I have found it interesting that he says "yes" or "yeah" rather often and thus far hasn't said the word "no." I'm sure it won't be long until that word makes it into his expressive vocabulary. The last few months the only time he had put two words together was to say things like "hi mama" or "bye bye dada." Today out of the blue he said two complete sentences! Usually when he wakes up in the morning I go and get him from the crib and then bring him into our bed and snuggle with him for a few minutes before we go down and have breakfast. This morning I went and got him and then immediately passed him to Paul because I needed to use the bathroom. Paul was disoriented because he started hearing "I want my mama," and he thought it had to be Ian because Oliver hasn't been talking in complete sentences, but then he realized it was in fact Oliver. I came back into the room and heard the third time he screamed "I want my mama." I couldn't believe it, and Paul and Nadia told me he had said it three times in a row. Paul was proud but also had his feelings hurt a little that Oliver was so distressed at my brief absence. I was at the periodontist when it was time to put the kids down for naps/quiet time at 1pm. When Paul was tucking Ian in and said "I love you" to Ian, Oliver also said "I love you." Whether he was directing them to Ian or Paul, they are words that melt a parent's heart!

The urology office called me today to reschedule his surgery for February 12. Paul won't be able to go with me as that is a Wednesday, and he teaches on Wednesdays. They said we'll have to arrive much earlier that day because he's only operating in the morning that day (half-day) compared to he was scheduled for a full day in the OR last week. Oliver's 18 month check-up had been scheduled for the 14th, but I called today and moved it to the 10th. First, I didn't want him to get shots and such two days after having major surgery, and second, I wanted a pediatrician to listen to his lungs and declare him healthy to avoid another wasted trip to Philadelphia and back. Hopefully the next time we go out there he really will have his surgery.

No comments: