Friday, December 5, 2014

Christmas Caroling


Last year Oliver and I joined the AWANA group when they went caroling at the nursing home in our town one Wednesday night in December. This evening we went caroling the four of us went caroling for a little more than an hour at a different nursing home with the kids' choir that Nadia and I are in now. What a delight! In some parts of the building we sang as we walked through the halls, and in other places we sang a few carols in a dining room or common area. Sometimes Oliver stood up with the kids although the only song he sang with them was Jingle Bells. In the first dining room one man asked Oliver to shake his hand. Oliver walked over to him and put his arm up on the arm of the wheelchair. The man put his arm around Oliver's waist, and they stood like that for about 10 minutes. The man started telling those around him - this (Oliver) is my buddy. Then he got a clean fork and gave Oliver two bites of his carrot cake. It was so sweet. In another spot one woman kept telling Oliver "I love you. I love you so much" and told me she really wanted to give him a penny, but she didn't have any with her. Aw.... What a delight to bring some joy to these residents. We should do this more often! I didn't take any pictures. It was one of those moments I wished I had a smartphone because I was holding four winter coats for an hour so I was glad I hadn't brought my DSLR camera with me, but a picture or two would have been nice. Maybe some other parents will post some on Facebook. :)





No comments: