I usually am asleep at midnight on New Year's Eve, but last night I was awake to ring in the New Year in the PICU. I fell asleep at 8:45, but I woke up at 11:15 when the doctor came in to check Oliver and a bit later when they were doing rounds. Paul was surprised when I called him to wish him a happy new year. They have completely weaned Oliver off the sedatives. He has gone from sleeping almost all the time to being awake most of the time, even in the middle of the night. I held him for a couple of hours around 3am. He threw up and got a sponge bath around 5:30am. He hadn't been given anything by mouth since Monday, but today they allowed him to first have some water by sponge and then some jello. He was so happy to have some food in his mouth! He has been asking for all the stuff to come off him, and he keeps pointing to the door and asking to go. He is ready to get out of here!
This afternoon he made a lot of progress with being weaned off the oxygen, and I asked the nurse if we could do a room air trial. She agreed to a short one, but he did so well they haven't put him back on the oxygen! What a difference in 12 hours! PTL! At 9pm we were moved upstairs to the Pediatric unit in the 2nd floor. This room is SO much nicer. There is a bathroom and shower! The sofa bed is MUCH bigger and more comfy than the cot in the PICU. They let him have regular food this evening, and his feeding tube is coming out in the morning! Praying we get discharged tomorrow! I miss Nadia and Ian something fierce, and Saturday we have special plans. Oliver wants all the tags, wires, IVs, and tubes to come off. He really wants to be home also! Hopefully his saturation levels will be good tonight while he sleeps on room air so we can all sleep in our own beds tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment