Monday, May 25, 2015

One hot boy

Oliver was up several times during the night last night, and he was up for good at 5:30. Every time he woke up, he asked for a drink of water; we also had him go to the bathroom every time as well. He wanted to sleep with us, and we did try that once in the middle of the night, but none of us were sleeping with that arrangement so I managed to get him back in his own bed without any tears. At 6:00 we gave him his next dose of steroids. This time we just squirted it into his mouth (instead of mixing it with chocolate pudding) and gave him other things right away to try to remove the awful taste in his mouth (a tootsie roll, juice, etc.). He consumed far more of the steroids this morning than he did last night, and this was evident a little while later when he was practically bouncing off the walls. The pulmonologist called me this morning and said he had reviewed Oliver's x-rays and such from our appointment at the urgent care clinic. I was very impressed that the doctor took the initiative to call me on a holiday no less. I gave him an update on Oliver's O2 levels (88-89 when sleeping and 90-93 when awake) and temperature (102 without medication and 100 with it), and he said if it dropped ANY farther when awake or asleep he needed to come in for some oxygen. Thankfully his numbers improved a little from that point onward. He took a nap this morning in my arms on the couch, and he took his afternoon nap in his bed. Aside from some goldfish crackers he didn't really eat anything today albeit I offered him cookies, spaghetti, pudding, pizza, toast, cereal, etc. He has been drinking a lot of water. He perked up enough around noon that he wanted to go outside so I walked him to the playground. He played for awhile and then asked to go home for the very first time. Usually he's upset when I say it's time to go.

Although I think he has a virus, the doctor decided to call in a prescription for an antibiotic just in case it's bacterial. I am not a big fan of "just in case" prescriptions. The child is already on four other medications right now, but since his three month follow-up appointment happens to be scheduled for Wednesday with this doctor, I decided to go ahead and add another medication to the mix. Hopefully I can get him to eat some yogurt to counteract some of the negative effects of the antibiotic. He doesn't mind the taste of the antibiotic. We had a lot harder time getting the steroid down him this evening than we did this morning. I am very grateful we're still at home. Last time it was on day three of his illness that we discovered his lung had collapsed. I am feeling a lot more hopeful at the moment that we can stay out of the hospital this time around. I had planned to go to ladies Bible study tomorrow morning (last one before the fall), but I'll be staying home as I can't take a boy with a 102 degree fever out in public. We don't want to share his germs! Nadia and Ian are supposed to be home tomorrow. I can't wait to see them! They are spending the night in Virginia tonight.

No comments: