Monday, October 24, 2016

Forgetful Fairy


Ian lost his second tooth on Saturday night. Nadia pulled it out for him, just like she did with his first tooth many months ago. I had decided awhile ago to give each child $5 for their first tooth and $1 for each tooth after that. Ian put his tooth in a special wooden tooth container someone had given him, and he put that under his pillow on Saturday night. I totally forgot about his tooth after he went to bed. The next morning he came up to me and said in a very dejected voice that his tooth was still under his pillow but the tooth fairy hadn't left him anything. I felt *horrible* and told him that maybe the tooth fairy was running behind schedule and that he should check under his pillow again after he ate his breakfast. He was very excited when he found a dollar under his pillow. I am sure I'm not the only parent to forget his/her tooth fairy duty, but still I felt badly about it. I'll try to do a better job of remembering the next time!

I have spent many hours going through old photos over the past three days. I am almost done dividing the pictures into six categories: pitch, Dad, Maurice, Wendy, Yvonne, and myself. Looking through the pictures it is obvious that in addition to many pictures of each room of every home we lived in that birthdays and Christmas were very important to my mom. I already knew that because she worked very hard to make them special for us, and growing up holidays were the times we usually got together with extended family (cousins, aunts. uncles, and grandparents). It's also obvious how much my mom loved the various cats we had through the years. They had Missie before they had me. My kids enjoyed seeing pictures of Snowflake (who was my cat in the early 90's and was Patches' older brother). Patches died only a couple of months before my mom. It was also obvious that her father's airplane was very important to her. There were MANY pictures of that airplane. I've heard pastors say in a sermon that you can tell what a person's priorities are by the ways they spend their money, and I think you can also get a glimpse into what they treasure the most by looking through their photo albums. I think it is quite obvious from my photo albums that I love my children dearly! Looking through the photos also illustrates how much photography has improved with the switch to digital cameras. The ability to see if you got a good picture (and retake immediately if necessary) is not to be taken for granted. Also what a gift to be able to delete pictures.. I remember the days of developing a whole roll of film and deciding whether to get single or double prints. I have definitely encountered some double sets of prints when going through these photos. I am looking forward to displaying more of these pictures around our house. I already put one in a frame in our bedroom.






No comments: