Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Ian's first overnight camp!

I meant to have Ian pack his suitcase yesterday, but in the midst of everything else we did yesterday, I forgot. It hit me at 7:30 this morning that I was taking him to camp TODAY, and he had VBS from 9-12. We quickly packed his suitcase before I left the house at 8:15 to take Nadia to water day at Adventure Camp. She was really looking forward to swimming, canoeing, and rafting today! Yesterday she hiked 5 miles. Tomorrow is the day she is MOST excited about - high ropes and zip lining! Paul picked her up from camp today, which meant he got home a LOT earlier than usual. He's been getting home from work between 7-8pm. He needed to pick her up at 4pm because Ian is supposed to arrive at Camp Susque at 2pm, and those two locations are in the opposite direction so I knew I could not get there on time. Our neighbor took the boys to VBS this morning. After I picked them up, we had lunch at Kid's Café. The chicken quesadillas they served yesterday were so delicious! Today the boys got chocolate milk shakes with their sandwiches.

After eating lunch we drove to Camp Susque. They have older counselors for the young children so Ian's counselor is married and the father of an infant. Ian is staying in the Comanche Cabin. All of the top bunks had been claimed by the time we got there, so he is on a bottom bunk. He already knows one of the boys in the cabin! He knows Micah from our homeschooling group. The boy standing in line behind us just turned six last month, and so Oliver was asking why he wasn't going to camp this year. Well, technically he's old enough, but I didn't send Nadia to the short week of camp until 2015. She went the week before she turned seven. I offered to send Ian last year when he was 7 1/2 and he declined. I told Oliver he can go next year, and then in 2020 both boys could go to boys camp together (meaning a full week). I'm hoping that Ian has a blast this week and wants to go a full week next year! I have very fond memories of my time at Sky Ranch camp in Texas when I was his age. Although I reactivated my Facebook account six weeks ago, I have barely spent any time on it. I will spend more than usual the next 3 weeks because the camp usually posts pics on their FB page.


No comments: