Sunday, December 9, 2018

O Christmas Tree


Since 2001 our tradition has been to put up our Christmas decorations the weekend after Thanksgiving. Ever since my mom passed away in 2016, decorating has been emotionally challenging for me. My mom loved Christmas decorations. We always waited until after December 10th to decorate because that is my dad's birthday, and she wanted to make sure his birthday didn't get lost in the shuffle due to Christmas. This year due to the fact that I've been super busy juggling too many things at once plus I was dreading it emotionally due to missing my mom, I decided to wait until one of the kids asked about it. I knew eventually they would ask when we were going to put up our tree. I was curious as to when it might happen. The kids spent the day at Paul's parents house this past Thursday because Paul wanted to go in to work that day due to having spent Wednesday (a day he usually works) at Great Wolf Lodge. Nadia helped Paul's parents decorate their Christmas tree on Thursday. The next day Ian asked me when we were going to put up our tree. I said
we could start that night after Daddy got home from work. Paul assembled the tree and strung the Christmas lights on Friday night while the kids and I put out stockings and such. Then while he was at work on Saturday morning the kids and I decorated the tree.  I didn't cry this time. That represents progress compared to decorating the past two years.

We have a few Christmas traditions. Last weekend we went to Corning Museum of Glass, and we intend to keep going there the first weekend of December. Admission is free at the CMOG and the Rockwell Museum (a Smithsonian art museum also in Corning). We visited both museums and the kids made their first blown glass ornaments. Oliver's first ornament collapsed because he took a breath in while his mouth was on the tube, but his second ornament was a success. We haven't received the ornaments yet. Last year they did a fused glass ornament. Next year they say they want to do a blown glass snowman. When they are all old enough they could do a flameworking project. At both
museums they were able to decorate cookies (free), and at the CMOG there was live Christmas music and free drinks (hot chocolate, hot apple cider, etc.). We did three of the four demonstrations at the CMOG. Maybe next year we'll try a guided tour of the historical galleries (showing glass from the Roman empire until now). The kids were hoping to be picked to break glass in the one demonstration because the volunteer receives a free little glass animal (made by flameworking). Last year I won a beautiful handmade blue vase in one of the demos.

We usually go caroling at least twice. We'll be visiting some shut-ins with others from our church tonight, and on Wednesday night we'll be caroling at the Warrior Run Manor with the AWANA club. We make Christmas cookies and use some of them for the ones given to the shut-ins and then give others to the kids' leaders in AWANA and the kids' choir at church.

Yesterday we visited Purity Candy which is 5 minutes
from our house. They have been making handmade candy canes there for over 100 years, and after the candy maker demonstrates how they make candy canes, everyone present gets to twist (and keep) one candy cane. I never do one, but the kids each make one. We also visit the Santa that is in a little shed by the grocery store in our town. Originally I had planned for Paul to take the kids to Purity Candy and visit Santa next Saturday while I'm at Commencement, but because I had scratched our plans in Baltimore and Camp Hill for yesterday, I took the kids to Purity Candy for the 12pm demonstration, did a little grocery shopping, and then they met Santa a little after 1pm. Oliver went first. He told Santa he wanted a chocolate candy cane for Christmas. Santa was definitely surprised, and asked if he wanted something else. To which Oliver said, "a potato." HA HA! When Ian was asked he first said, "For Mommy to be happy" and then when Santa asked if he wanted anything else he of course said "legos." Santa asked him if he already had any legos. HA HA do we ever!
Nadia (for the first time) didn't want anything to do with Santa. I had brought three cans of food (that's the "price" for seeing Santa is a contribution to the food bank), but she decided she was too old for Santa.

The kids usually make a gingerbread house at the Milton library. They are signed up to do that next Saturday with Paul while I'm at Commencement. 

They buy gifts (with AWANA shares not real money) for their siblings and parents and wrap the gifts at AWANA. Nadia usually also buys gifts for the Benner cousins.

We use an Advent calendar every year although this year it didn't get put up until December 7. Oops!

We attend a Christmas eve service at our church plus another Christmas service on a Friday night (Dec 14 this year).

The kids take turns hiding the elf on the shelf. One less thing for me to do!!

We let the kids open their gifts from us on Christmas eve, and most years we spend Christmas Day at Paul's parents' house. This year I am hosting Christmas for my side of the family from December 26-31. Dad and Margie will come first, and then Wendy and her kids will join us on the 27th. Playing with their cousins is definitely something my kids look forward to each year!

The first two years we attended our current church the kids' choir put on a musical at Christmas, but last year they switched to only doing a musical in May. Instead they sing one Christmas song in a worship service in December (December 16 this year).







No comments: