Thursday, June 27, 2019

Water slides!


When I signed Ian up for Camp Susque this week, I thought that Oliver and Nadia would be home this week, but since Nadia ended up going to Creation this week, Oliver and I ended up having almost four days together. Wednesday we spent three hours at the playground, and today we spent three hours at a community swimming pool. Oliver spent the vast majority of the three hours going down two water slides and jumping off the diving board. He had a blast! This is the first summer he's been that brave of a swimmer. The high today was in the low 90's so it was a great day to be in water. Oliver also enjoyed VBS the past three nights. The highlight for Oliver was the slip and slide on Wednesday night. I also finally got back to helping Oliver with his Level 3 reading. He has only one story left, and my plan is to finish it by Saturday. Today I worked on organizing the cards for Level 4 for the fall. I started using All About Reading with Nadia in 2013, and those days will be drawing to a close later this year. I haven't used cards for All About Spelling since Nadia was in Level 1, but I decided to use
them for Nadia for Level 7, which she'll be starting in the fall. It will be Nadia's last year of spelling.

Last week was a rainy week. This week has been quite the opposite. It has been a great work for contractors. Our little development has been buzzing with activity. Two neighbors had their driveways sealed this week. One neighbor is having work done that I'm guessing relates to all the water we've had lately. It looks like pipes are being placed in her lawn. One neighbor did have work done last week when it was rainy - they got new exterior doors, new garage door, and new shutters. We are one of only four houses on our small street. Two of them got a new roof last summer. Yesterday the third house got a new roof. We are now the only house on our street with the original roof. I have some money saved from working this year that I had set aside to use when we have to replace our van - maybe in four years? But maybe that money will go towards paying for a new roof instead. I have no idea how to tell if you need a new roof our
not. Our house is twenty years old so I realize sometime in the next ten years we'll need a new roof.

The most exciting home improvement project in our development this week goes to the family that started installing an in ground pool in their back yard. Oliver plays at that house as their youngest boy is one year older than Oliver. I'm sure he'll be hoping he can swim there sometimes once the pool project is completed! For several years we paid to join a pool, but I'm certain I made the correct decision not to do that this year (or last year). Yes, Oliver and I would have gone swimming more this week, but we wouldn't be going enough to justify the membership cost. It's cheaper to just pay for the day like I did today as infrequently as we will go this summer. I really am missing Nadia and Ian. I am very grateful that next week the four of us will be together the whole week at Aunt Janet's house. I can't wait to hear about what Nadia and Ian have been up to while they've been gone!







No comments: