Sunday, September 1, 2019

Harry Potter

Less than 24 hours after we checked out the first Harry Potter book from the library, Nadia had finished reading it (a little over 300 pages long). I guess I should have checked out more than just the first book yesterday! We have three months of Amazon Kindle Unlimited for free, and so I got her book two via the Kindle. Monday will be our usual day to go to the library the next 10 weeks, but since tomorrow is Labor Day the library is closed and the kids also don't have gymnastics or choir tomorrow night because of the holiday. I had purchased a set of 8 Harry Potter DVDs for $23 in July. I had planned on that being a Christmas gift, but I knew Nadia had money she didn't spend in NYC. I told her she could buy the DVDs from me if she wanted them now. She decided to use her money to buy those 8 DVDs plus seasons 4 and 5 of the Brady Bunch. Seasons 1-3 are free via Amazon Prime as well as part of season 4, but we couldn't find a free way to access the other episodes. We watched the first movie today. Since some of the later movies are PG-13 (for violence) I'm not
going to let Oliver watch all of them, but I let all three kids watch the first one after Nadia finished reading the first book. She's in the middle of the last mother daughter book club book, and she has to read one from "the list" before she reads the second Harry Potter book, but I doubt it will be that long before she finishes the second book and we watch the second movie. Ian enjoys reading, but Nadia is the only one I would label a bookworm at this point.

Today was promotion Sunday at church. Nadia had already been promoted in June to the middle school group, and the boys didn't change classrooms because 1st/2nd grade boys are in the same room and 3rd-5th grade boys are in the same room. Oliver will be promoted next year. He's looking forward to it because the snack in grades K-2nd is usually goldfish crackers whereas the snack in grades 3-5 is a small bag of chips. He's looking forward to chips. The extra treat for everyone today in celebration of promotion Sunday was a Rita's ice. Nadia and Ian had blue raspberry. I had cherry, but I think Oliver picked the tastiest flavor - mango. Yum! It was warm in our house on Friday evening when we got back from NYC, but the house stayed cool yesterday and today. 






No comments: