Tuesday, August 12, 2008

7 weeks old

Nadia has still been congested, and ever since last Thurs I had been wondering whether I should call the doctor or not. Her only symptom was a stuffy nose (no fever). Well she was a lot fussier yesterday (not just at naptime/bedtime like she had been for a few days but all the time) so I called the doctor. Her pediatrician asked me if she had a fever (no) and was she still eating well (yes). She suggested we buy "little noses" (saline drops for the nose), aspirate before every nap and every feeding, and have Nadia sleep more propped up (like in her car seat). So we bought the drops, and Paul's mom was a dear and went to the Walmart down near them and then drove up to our house with the battery operated nasal aspirator I had on my registry but hadn't received or purchased. I should have ordered it a few weeks ago! Nadia hated the regular bulb syringe. She did sooooooooo much better with this new aspirator. It's well worth the price, and I recommend it to any of you who have wee ones. Also, the temporal thermometer (which I did receive as a baby shower gift from my registry) is wonderful as well. She hates having her temp taking at the doctor's office but doesn't mind this one at all. So I suggest that parents of young children will appreciate owning these two things!
We gave her some infant Tylenol last night for the first time (1/2 dose). I am not sure what did the trick - having her sleep in the car seat, the Tylenol or the more frequent aspiration (after using the saline), but she SLEPT. YAHOOOOOOOOOO! She went down EASILY at 8:30pm and slept until 12:45am and went down EASILY at 1:30am and slept until 5:00am and then I nursed her for about an hour and she's still asleep right now (almost 2 hours later). This was by far the best night in a very long time. Actually it might qualify as the best night ever! We put the car seat in her bedroom and that was her bed. I do plan to call the doctor back this morning though as although the sleeping went much better, her new symptom is that she's stopped pooping. Her diapers have been either only wet (soaking so that's not a problem) or wet with the tiniest bit of poop. Definitely a big change from usual. So we'll see what Dr. M tells me this morning. I am not sure if she'll want us to come in or not. I feel so badly that Nadia doesn't feel well. Poor little girl!

She is now SEVEN weeks old as of today. I can't believe how much she's changed in that time. She's definitely gained a lot of weight and also grown quite a bit in length based on the fact she's outgrowing some clothes. That sundress that she wore last week was 0-3 months so some 0-3 months stuff is starting to fit although the bottoms still are way too big. She has a little waist. You could fit at least two Nadias in most of the 0-3 month size bottoms, LOL. It's funny because she seems "so big" to me and then I think of the babies who are 10 lb + at birth, and to those parents she probably still seems so small. :-)

3 comments:

lmstephenson said...

Congratulations on the house offers and the good night of sleep! I hope Nadia feels well today.

lynn

Joy said...

Yay! Multiple offers! Hope Nadia feels better soon. Sometimes I think babies sleep better in their car seats because it it cradles around them, kind of like our arms...

Jill said...

GREAT....that you got three offers. I also love the aspirator...best baby product ever imho. Joey has had his share of runny noses and that is the BEST!!!