If I could go back in time, I wish we had gone to CHOP for Ian's first urological surgery. We went to our local hospital instead. My guess is that had we gone to CHOP with him from the start, Ian would have had only one urological surgery instead of two. I've been a parent for 5 1/2 years, and I've now survived my two boys going through a total of five surgeries. Nadia has never been under general anesthesia. She asked me the other day if she had ever had this surgery (when she heard me talking about Ian and Oliver). No, sweet girl, it would be impossible for you to need this surgery. I am SO glad we did the testosterone shots, and I am thankful that even though a longer than ideal time passed between the last shot and the surgery (because the surgery was postponed), Dr. Canning was still able to complete the entire repair in one surgery. He had said if we didn't do the shots it would have to be two surgeries. I have been praying fervently and asking others at ladies Bible study, church, etc. to pray that the repair might be able to be done in one surgery, and the Lord answered this prayer request with a YES! What a relief, especially as we don't know what health insurance we'll have in August. The reason we did his surgery later than usual was because we were waiting until we were back on Blue Shield insurance. I am also glad because of course it means one less surgery for Oliver, it means I can potty train him this summer (that couldn't have been done until after the repair was completed), and it means that he won't be sliced open for the next 6 months like Ian was. It was really disgusting to change Ian's diaper for those six months.
Paul's parents arrived at our house around 7:45pm on Thursday night. We left the house at 6:20 yesterday morning. Last time I was 25 minutes late so I allowed 30 minutes longer than I allowed in January, but the traffic was better this time so we were 30 minutes early. We sat in the surgery waiting area for about 90 minutes and then we were in pre-op room #2 for about 90 minutes. A Nurse Practioner did his exam, and she said he has an innocent heart murmur, which was the first anyone ever mentioned that. He had his Versed (to make him drowsy) at noon and was wheeled into the operating room at 12:25. At 1:30pm a nurse came and told us the wonderful news that the doctor had decided the repair could be done in just one surgery. I was thrilled! The surgery was over around 3pm, at which point we talked with the woman doing her fellowship with Dr. Canning. Around 3:30pm we were allowed to join him in the recovery room. It felt wonderful to have him in my arms again although he was really wanting the iv and cords to come off. He was still on a little oxygen because his saturation levels weren't very good. After a time, he was given some apple juice, but he had a bloody nose during the end of the surgery and some of that blood had gotten into his throat and this made him nauseous and the poor boy vomited like he had never done before. Because his saturation levels were still dipping when he was on room air, they said he needed to spend the night at the hospital.
Around 5:30pm we moved to an inpatient room that we shared with a 6 month old baby and his parents. Since Paul and I were both here and there was only one small couch, they replaced the crib with a bed. Oliver and I shared the bed, and Paul slept on the couch. We didn't get much sleep as it was, but at least we were both able to be horizontal. Paul's assistant coach lead the practice last night. They moved the team photos from 11:15 to 1pm so Paul could be in them. We got home just in time for Paul to coach the 12pm game. Oliver and I didn't go to the game. I didn't bring the iPad to CHOP (so the kids could use it) or the camera (one less thing to bring), and if I took a picture with my camera I'd have no way to transfer it anywhere else. So we used the webcam on my laptop to take a few pictures. They are grainy, but they are better than nothing. As u can see, Oliver really enjoyed his blueberry popsicle! I brought the laptop because Paul and I worked on his application for Bucknell during Oliver's surgery.
We didn't bring toothbrushes, pjs, or anything like that for Paul and I because we didn't expect to spend the night. I was really wishing I had worn my glasses instead of my contacts yesterday. My eyes were killing me, as I didn't have any saline with me. While Oliver was in my arms he ate a couple of blue popsicles (very messy endeavor), vomited profusely (filled several basins), and gushed blood all over the place. Amazingly, I didn't get any vomit on me. A little bit of popsicle dripped on me, but not very much. I had a larger spot of blood but it was nothing compared to the blood all over his gown and the sheet on the bed after they removed his iv this morning. My brown jeans helped to hide the blood. Oliver went through three hospital gowns in less than 24 hours as the first was covered in vomit and the second was covered in blood.
I am very glad to be home. When we've been at Geisinger, Evangelical, and Harrisburg Hospitals over the past 5 1/ 2 years, I can say the kids or I have never been discharged at 8:30am. I was pleasantly surprised when the urologist showed up before 7:30am to do his rounds. The dressing will come off on Monday, and the catheter will come out sometime between the 19th-21st. Changing his diaper is not exactly going to be my favorite thing to do over the next two weeks. This too shall pass. The worst is over. I will sleep well tonight!


No comments:
Post a Comment