Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Like Medicine

 I know the saying is that "laughter is the best medicine" (based on Proverbs 17:22), and I do agree that laughter can really be uplifting, but I think there is also a case to be made that sunshine is also a great medicine. I know we get vitamin D from sunshine, which I'm sure is beneficial, but it seems to go beyond that for me at least. There is just something about being outside in the fresh air (I prefer it to be at least in the 60's) when the skies are blue and the sun is shining. Today it got at least as warm as 79 degrees! I know the temps won't stay this high quite yet, but we are enjoying a gorgeous week in the 60's and 70's. Additionally, it feels good to get some exercise.  Next winter I need to find an exercise to do inside the house during the winter months OR I need to eat less food during those months because I gained back a lot of what I lost last summer. I hadn't been weighing myself, which was foolish on my part. I was weighed at the doctor yesterday and they said I had lost weight, but I know I had actually gained weight over the past three months. I thought since my jeans were still fitting that I hadn't gained much weight. I was wrong. Well this week I have gotten back on track to start shedding those pounds yet again. I walked to the playground on Monday and Tuesday and ran four miles this evening. If I exercise, go back to eating oatmeal for breakfast, and cut back on cookies, ice cream, etc. I know I can lose the weight again. Here's to hoping that more time outside in the fresh air and getting more exercise can be a boost to my spirits as I really want to feel "myself" again which certainly hasn't been the case for the past 6 1/2 months.

I took the kids to the Children's Museum this morning for their "Homeschool Hangout." Since it was so pretty they had set up the activities outside. The theme today was camping out and included things like assembling a small first aid kit, making a flashlight (Nadia got frustrated but eventually got the wires working correctly), making animal prints with modeling clay, doing an experiment regarding purified water, creating a shelter using various materials they provided, etc. Nadia spent the most time making animal prints. Ian really enjoyed a board game called Camp. They also spent a little time inside the museum before we headed to the playground that is close to the museum. I was surprised at how crowded it was given we arrived at 1:30 in the afternoon on a Wednesday. I was thrilled to see Ian going down the fireman's pole of his own initiative as in the past he was unwilling to try it. He is getting braver and braver! In the past I have tried to hurry the kids back so we would get home by 1:00 for Oliver's nap, but I am trying to adjust my thinking since he hasn't been napping. He did actually fall asleep in the van when we were about half-way home. It was his first nap in several days. He and Ian both find it easy to fall asleep in a vehicle.

This evening we didn't have choir rehearsal, and that was perfect timing because I ended up having a massage at 6:30 (which is when choir rehearsal usually starts). I did sleep a little better last night, but I have still been in a lot of pain today and couldn't sleep on either side last night. So I splurged and paid $35 for a back/neck/arm massage, but if it leads to me getting more sleep and being in less pain during the day, it will be money well spent. It is much harder to show patience with the children when I am in constant pain.

While we were at the children's museum, I signed Nadia and Ian up for a painting/drawing "camp" in June. It will be from 10:00am-1:00pm M-F for one week. On Monday I will need to take Oliver somewhere else (like the playground if the weather is nice) because the museum isn't open on Mondays, but the other four days he can play in the museum while they have their class. Perfect! I also signed Nadia and Ian up for an art class for homeschoolers next Wednesday morning at an art studio much closer to our home. That class is pricier than the one at the Children's Museum, but I decided to try it once and see if it's worth the money or not.




No comments: