Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Wonderful Wednesday

Today was a gorgeous day. If it were up to me, we'd move farther south. I am NOT in any way shape or form a fan of winter weather, but it's not up to me. Paul wants to stay right here in central PA. Being able to be outside in the fresh air and sunshine is good for my soul. I don't like to spend much time outside when the temperature is less than 50 degrees, and my preference is for it to be in the 60s or 70s. You can see I also take a lot more pictures when the weather is nicer! This morning we did our school work, ate a really early lunch, and then headed out the door at 10:45 to go to the Children's Museum. I should add that Oliver's daily "schoolwork" includes doing one puzzle. He can now do 48-60 piece jigsaw puzzles on his own! Today's homeschool hangout activities were focused on flight. Nadia liked doing the experiment that created a chemical reaction which shot a medicine bottle high above the roof of the building. They all enjoyed floating above the ground in a hovercraft that moved around outside.

After spending a couple of hours at the museum, we headed to the playground near the river in Bloomsburg. They love that playground! After spending about an hour there, we headed back home. Thankfully, at the very end of our drive Oliver fell asleep, which means he had a nap two days in a row (mostly in the parked van in the garage). Yay! Paul worked at home today (he only teaches on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays), which meant that I was able to go for a 3.5 mile run this afternoon when the temperature was around 70 degrees. Yahoo! After dinner Paul took Nadia and Ian to soccer practice, and then I dropped Oliver off at the soccer field about 45 minutes later so that I could go to my choir rehearsal. The church didn't have AWANA this evening because of Easter. Choir rehearsal was heavenly because it had been three weeks since I had been to one, and we spent a large part of the rehearsal working on a gorgeous arrangement of "And Can it Be" that we are singing for the three Easter services this weekend (once Saturday night and twice on Sunday morning). They are anticipating about 2,700 people will attend those three services.


On a day like today I find myself really wanting this to continue. Meaning I wish Paul could continue to have a job that only required him to be away from home three days a week (and also for only 30 weeks a year). I also wish that I could continue to be a stay-at-home mom. I would absolutely love to teach one class a semester, but I have such mixed feelings about my upcoming job interview (to be the director of student teaching and field experiences). I have no control over what type of job Paul pursues, so that is out of the question. He will be switching to a job that will require him to be at work 6 and sometimes 7 days a week. It has been wonderful having him only working away from home three days a week for the past three years, but those days are almost over. As for whether I am going back to work FT or not, time will tell. Part of me really wants a job. I want to be able to afford to stay in this house. I want to be able to afford to go on a vacation once a year. When I think of the salary I used to make, I can quickly create a list of things I would like to spend money on such as some home improvement projects.

Nadia wants me to get the job. She says it's because #1 she wants to have more time with Daddy (she knows she'll see more of him if I get a job because then he'll stay at home when I am at work) and because she wants us to have more money so we can afford vacations and such. Ian doesn't want me to get a job. He says he just wants his mommy. Oliver is clueless about it all. I am really torn between the two. I loved being a professor for ten years, but right now my heart longs to stay at home with my kids. I will really miss them if I go back to work FT, but the salary would definitely be a blessing for the five of us. I also am not super keen on the idea of having a 45 minute commute (one way) to work, but it is feasible. I am going into this interview wanting to do my very best and hoping they will select me for an in-person interview, but if I am rejected (again!), I know it means I will be able to enjoy at least one more year as a stay-at-home mom (unless Messiah College shows interest in me), and that is also a wonderful option. We shall see what happens!






No comments: