Sunday, August 21, 2016

Trapped

Friday morning the kids and I did some yard sale shopping. We came home to have lunch, and I realized that Nadia had left a book I bought at the yard sale that I intended to start reading the kids at lunch in the van. When she tried to open the door from the kitchen to the garage, she couldn't. I tried, and I also couldn't get it to budge. I called Paul, and he suggested I take off the door knob. I did that, but it didn't help. He then suggested I take the door knob off the bathroom door, and use part of that. I found out they were different sizes, and Nadia had taken off the other half and closed it so we then also couldn't use that bathroom. Thankfully we have two other toilets upstairs. Originally I had planned to go to Knoebels in the evening for some free Christian concerts, but since my friend, Cheri hasn't been feeling well (we were going to meet her), and I was tired, we had scrapped those plans on Thursday night. The new plan had been to go to the swimming pool and library on Friday afternoon, but we couldn't do that because for seven hours we didn't have access to the garage which meant we couldn't drive anywhere (as the van was in there) and the kids couldn't ride their bikes or anything like that as their outside toys are also in the garage. The upside was that we got a LOT of cleaning and organizing done in the house. Things had gotten mixed up when we had 15 people in our house two weeks before so we reorganized the toy bins, games, etc.

I won't go through all the details, but basically Friday was one of those days that made me think of the book "Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." It started with Oliver wetting the bed for the first time in a couple of months and ended with Nadia crying off and on for most of the night due to ear pain (which meant that Paul and I also got very little sleep). These problems were temporary though. When Paul got home he tried to fix the door knob and discovered it just needed to be destroyed so it could be taken out. This made me feel better because I know I am not good with tools and thought anyone could have fixed this, but actually it wasn't just me in this instance (because Paul is very good with tools). I ran to the hardware store a few minutes before it closed and bought a new door knob, which Paul installed that evening. Saturday morning I took the kids to the Pediatrician, and the doctor said Nadia had a very bad ear infection in one ear. He said her eardrum might already have ruptured. We went to the library and then picked up some antibiotics at CVS (she is swallowing 6 capsules a day), and the doctor said it was okay if she attended a birthday party that afternoon. She woke up with a 101 degree fever so I didn't think she could go to the party, but ear infections aren't contagious so the doctor said it was fine for her to go. I made up for some of the sleep deprivation by going to bed at 7:50 last night. The boys and I went to the swimming pool while Nadia was at her party yesterday.

Yesterday and today went much more smoothly than Friday. The biggest "yucky" moment today was when Oliver threw up all over the place in his bed this afternoon. After church I made pancakes, eggs, and bacon for brunch. Oliver and Ian usually eat as much bacon as I will let them have. Oliver was objecting to the bacon. I should have realized something was wrong, but I just fed him some pancakes. Then he asked to take a nap, which he never asks to do. He didn't nap, but he did throw up in his bed. So all his bedding was washed for the second time in three days. I am very thankful for washing machines! He seemed fine after we got him cleaned up, and he ate normally at dinner.

The pic at the top is of my dresser. The jewelry box in the middle was my mom's. It will become Nadia's when she turns 13. I am going to enjoy it on my dresser for 5 years. The jewelry inside will also become hers when she's a teenager. The three picture frames on the bottom shelves are of my mom and are pictures I just brought back home on Wednesday. I miss you so much, Mom! The other pictures are of Oliver at church this morning. Two weeks ago he made a "helmet of salvation." Last week he would have made a breastplate of righteousness if we had been at our church. Today he made the belt of truth and shield of faith. When I took the pics he was singing "yes, sir" in the song "I'm in the Lord's army." The video below was taken yesterday of Oliver riding his new bike that his grandparents gave him for his birthday. Next summer we'll have to teach him how to ride without training wheels.

No comments: