I am totally wiped out at the moment. I am reminding myself that last fall I was utterly exhausted at first as I adjusted to the new routine and eventually I became acclimated. Last fall I taught four classes back to back (5 hours total). Part of my exhaustion stems from the fact I didn't get much sleep on the couch in Maryland on Friday and Saturday night, driving from 6-10pm on Sunday night, the fact that I woke up with a fever and a sore throat this morning, and because I woke up much earlier than I needed to this morning (first day jitters). It wasn't altogether a bad thing that I got up earlier than necessary because I got some things done at school prior to class that I had forgotten I needed to do in preparation for the first day. I will say I know I will like the schedule in the spring better than this semester because I don't have an 8:00 class. I'm not super keen on leaving the house before 7:00am. I'm not the only one who doesn't prefer 8:00 classes. I have two sections of the math methods class - 26 students in the 8:00 and 36 in the 9:30.
Altogether I think the first day was a success. I taught two math classes, drove to Hazleton and visited four student teachers in four different buildings (about an 8 minute drive between each building), and then had some time in my office before teaching the assessment class. I stopped at the grocery store on the way home, which meant I got home at 6:00 (30 minutes shy of 12 hours since I left this morning). The kids and Paul should get home from gymnastics at about 7:50pm. This means on Tuesdays I will barely see them at all. It's very bittersweet. I do enjoy teaching at the university, but I miss my children something fierce. I again was fighting the tears as I drove to work this morning. Hopefully it will get easier emotionally as the weeks go by. I have been trying to give Paul detailed instructions, but I haven't been specific enough. The plan was to have beef stew and biscuits for dinner, but the beef stew still isn't done (Paul's first time making it) so the kids had lunch type food twice today, which probably didn't bother them as Nadia and Ian aren't exactly fans of beef stew.
I made myself creamed corn pancakes because I was too hungry to wait any longer for the stew. I'm not exactly sure what all they accomplished in terms of homeschooling today. When I mentioned returning the science and history picture books to the library that he read to them today, he asked, "what picture books?". Oops! Homeschooling three children in three different grades isn't an easy task, and this is all new for Paul so there will be a learning curve involved! I imagine we'll get done earlier tomorrow than they did yesterday or today as I'll be their teacher tomorrow. I had planned to try and visit seven student teachers today, but I decided it wasn't wise to push myself. I had a full enough schedule as it was. It just means I won't finish the "welcome visits" until next Tuesday. Tomorrow I plan to stay home sweet home all day long. That sounds heavenly!









No comments:
Post a Comment