Thursday, August 23, 2018

Thankful Thursday


1. I'm thankful for Audible, our Bluetooth speaker, and the DVD player in the car. These three items make it possible for us to listen to books and the kids to watch DVDs during long car rides.

2. I'm also thankful for safety on the roads. We drove to Niagara Falls on Saturday morning (4 hours), drove back home on Sunday night (4 hours), made a round trip drive to Dorney Park yesterday (4 hours total), tomorrow I'll be driving to Maryland (3.5 hours if I don't hit traffic), and Sunday night I plan to drive back home. Whew. I'm also glad I don't usually drive that much!

3. We signed our new wills and power of attorney documents on August 9, and since then we received the documents in the mail. We did this the first time in 2010. I had this on my to do list for a couple of years. I am grateful to have crossed it off the list!

4. The five of us enjoyed a Zach Williams concert and funnel cake at the West End Fair on August 9.

 5. The boys had a good week at Good News Camp. Ian keeps talking about things the missionary from Papua New Guinea taught him (such as the 10/40 window).

6. The kids and I enjoyed seeing Christopher Robin at the theatre on August 10. After going many years without entering a movie theater, the kids saw three movies this summer in the theater! It cost me a grand total of 99 cents for the four of us to see Christopher Robin thanks to coupon codes entered on Fandango.

7. The boys and I enjoyed attending a social at Pastor Ken's house on August 12.

8. Nadia is grateful to be a part of the "Middle" group at the Methodist Church. She attended on August 12.

9. Paul took Nadia and Ian to a free archery class at RB Winter State Park on August 12.

10. Ian and Oliver enjoyed playing at the Treasure Castle Playland on August 13 and 16.

11. Oliver's doctor appointment only lasted 30 minutes on August 14. I think this is a new record for the shortest time we ever spent on a visit at the Pediatrician's office. I am also thankful that all three kids are usually healthy so that we usually only go to that office for well child visits.

12. Tab, Micah, Isaiah, Grandma, and Pop Pop were able to come and see Nadia's theater group present "A Kid's Life" musical on August 17.

13. We had a great weekend in Niagara Falls. We enjoyed touring Old Fort Niagara, Fort George, Buffalo Museum of Science, and the Falls. Other highlights included a cruise on the Erie Canal, the Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, and seeing a touring Broadway presentation of Aladdin in Buffalo.

14. Ian loves the new green carpet in his bedroom!

15. There was only one short passing shower while we were at Dorney Park yesterday. The lines can be very long there, but since some kids have gone back to school, the lines were not long. Paul and I went there in 1997 when we were dating. It had been 21 years since we had been to the park! Nadia rode every single roller coaster. The boys favorite part was the wave pool.

16. The kids were going to spend the day at the grandparent's house today, but that was cancelled. I planned to paint the basement floor and do some exterior painting. Even though the kids were here with me all day, I got a lot of work done including a load of laundry, a load of dishes, some exterior painting, vacuuming and mopping floors, weed whacking, and mowing the lawn. Mowing the lawn was a VERY time consuming project. It took twice as long as it usually does because it was so high. Paul wanted to mow the lawn but between his work
schedule, rain, and our 3 day getaway, he hadn't been able to mow. In hind sight I should have mowed last week, but I have been trying to avoid mowing due to my allergies. I burned a lot of calories today. Here's to hoping I can get out of bed without assistance tomorrow. My back is not happy with me at the moment. Nadia and Oliver helped me clean the bathrooms while Ian was doing some dusting.

17. It hasn't rained at all today! That's been a very rare occurrence lately so we're not taking it for granted.

18. Last year I shared an office with another adjunct instructor. Because two professors in our department retired and a third is on medical leave for the year (and then will retire when the paid leave has been used), I will be getting my own office this year. The department chair also offered me overload today (up to 5 extra student teachers). The semester starts on Monday so hopefully this change will be ironed out very quickly. They were offering a FT contract to a new adjunct, and today she
accepted another job offer (to be a principal) so they needed to find supervisors for 20 student teachers ASAP. I found out last Friday where my five student teachers are located. Four of them are close to the university. The fifth is 20 minutes from our house but 50 minutes from the university. I'm hoping to do as many of my visits as possible between 10:45-3:15 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We shall see how this works out. The overload involves some extra pay.

19. Paul has been working very long days (as in he'll come home when the kids are going to bed), but he has been taking off days for things like our long weekend in Niagara Falls and Dorney Park.

20. The boys enjoyed bowling last Tuesday, and all seven of us (including Grandma and Pop Pop) enjoyed bowling plus dinner at Cracker Barrel on Friday after Nadia's performance.










No comments: