Monday, April 22, 2024

Fifty-two


Yesterday I celebrated my 52nd birthday. On my birthdays I always miss my mom and my brother a little more than usual as I would normally have at least chatted with them on my birthday. Considering my mom passed away a few months after she turned 71, she only lived 19 years beyond her 52nd birthday. On Sunday a man in our Sunday School class asked me if we are in the Classics group at our church, which is for those age 55+. Since Paul will be turning 55 in January, we are eligible to join the group in a few months. When we were dating and in the early years of marriage, Paul used to take me out to dinner for my birthday. It's been quite a few years since that happened. This year he suggested all five of us go out to eat, which is something we usually only do when we're on vacation. He knows Olive Garden is one of my favorite places to eat and Nadia's most favorite place, so he suggested we go there. I used some points to request a gift card that covered almost the whole bill minus the tip. I don't usually get a dessert when we go out to eat, but since Olive Garden gives you a free dessert on your birthday, I requested the black-tie mousse cake, which is absolutely delicious. I shared a little of it with Oliver and Nadia, and they said I need to find a recipe online and try to make one myself for one of their birthdays. Will do! He had suggested going out on my actual birthday (Sunday), but since we didn't have any plans to leave the house on Friday, I thought it was better to go out that night since we have church on Sunday. We stopped at Lowe's on the way to Olive Garden and got my birthday present, which was a new faucet for the half-bathroom. The kids think it's the worst birthday gift idea, but ours was 25 years old and looking rather dated. On the way home from Olive Garden we stopped at Aldi's for groceries. 

On Saturday morning I put some beef, potatoes, and carrots in the crockpot and headed to a service project with Oliver. When we came back 4.5 hours later, I was flustered when I discovered the food was still cold. The green light was on, but it wasn't actually heating up. I switched to using the oven. The meat was cooked, but it wasn't anywhere near as tender as it would have been had it cooked in the crockpot for 9 hours as planned. The mashed potatoes, yeast bread, and fruit pizza all turned out well. Faith and Xandir were at our house for 18.5 hours, and their parents joined us for a couple of hours for dinner and some games. On Sunday we ate leftovers from Olive Garden and from what I had cooked on Saturday. On Friday night Nadia bought me a plant (lilies). Oliver made me a card and gave me some Andes mints. My I received two birthday cards in the mail on Saturday and one from someone at church on Sunday. I received several birthday text messages and two phone calls on Sunday from Aunt Janet and Yvonne. My dad called me today. My friend, Tab, is taking me out to lunch this week on Wednesday, and my friend, Cheri, is taking me out to lunch next week on Friday. I don't have any idea how many more years I have left on earth, but I am thankful for the years I've been given thus far and for the many blessings in my life including my kids, husband, friends, etc. 

The picture above is of Ian in his Vlad costume for the musical. Next year I'm going to take photos during the dress rehearsal. The picture below is from last Tuesday at our co-op. One of our classes this session is geography. Each of the kids picked a country and prepared a 3–5-minute speech about the culture of that country and also brought in a food item from that country for us to enjoy at a special lunch. Oliver and I made a pizza shaped pinata filled with candy for the kids to enjoy after the lunch. Foods brought that day included a soup from Vietnam, tiramisu cupcakes, sushi, Yorkshire pudding, honey joys, dumplings, Belgian waffles, churros, hummus, macaroons, and fairy bread. 



No comments: