![]() |
| Supreme Court |
In early September (2023) I purchased six tickets to see Prince Caspian at the Museum of the Bible in April 2024. One of the tickets was a gift to my dad. At that time, I thought April 2024 would be the next time we went to DC. As it turns out, we've taken the kids to DC four times over the last fifteen months. The two unexpected trips (November 2023 and March 2024) were to attend concerts. The end result is that we crossed off more sites in DC off the list I had created years ago earlier than expected. I will say that we've had really nice weather for all four of those trips. Our first stop on Friday was a parking garage. After that we walked one mile to the Supreme Court for a thirty-minute program. Next, we walked to the Museum of the Bible where we met my dad who had come into DC via the Metro. The show was three hours long (not counting the intermission) and was very well done! It was put on by the Logos Theatre from South Carolina. After eating a quick meal at Subway with my dad, we walked to the Spy Museum. Paul could have spent FAR more time in the museum. I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't so crowded. We got Paul an early Father's Day gift at the museum - a t-shirt featuring his favorite president - George Washington. After retrieving our vehicle from the parking garage, we drove to Arlington and picked up two slices of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory (one was free due to my birthday) on our way to our hotel. We stayed at the same hotel last month. Four of us shared the two slices of cheesecake. I really loved the one that Nadia and I shared.
After eating breakfast at the hotel, we drove back into DC. There was a lot of construction near Ford's Theatre, but eventually we found a place to park. Our tickets included seeing a show called One Destiny, which was a short production put on by two men about the day Lincoln was assassinated. It was very well done! The kids each earned a Junior Ranger badge, and we also made a quick stop at Petersen's House across the street where Lincoln died. Next, we walked to the National Archives. I had timed tickets, but on this particular day they weren't necessary. We didn't spend a lot of time there, but we did look at the Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and Constitution. Our last stop before returning to our vehicle was the National Portrait Gallery. The kids and I did an art project, and all five of us explored the museum. The kids said they preferred the National Gallery of Art (which we visited last month) to the Portrait Gallery. Visiting art museums isn't their favorite thing, and we don't do it very often, but I'm grateful they've been to a few of them. We ate some snacks in our vehicle as we drove to Rock Creek Park. We watched a planetarium show, went on a very short hike (in the rain), and the kids each earned another Junior Ranger badge. The current stats are that we've now been to 139 National Park sites in person, Nadia has earned 207 badges, Ian has earned 209, and Oliver has earned 193 altogether. We stopped at Denny's for dinner on the way home. One of our neighbors watched Milo for us during the time we were gone. I'm grateful that in 3-4 hours we can be in NYC, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and DC.
I attempted to take Nadia to see Unsung Hero at the movie theater on Thursday night, but our tickets were refunded due to technical difficulties. We're going to try again tomorrow night as she's waited a long time to see this movie. Originally it was scheduled to be released in June 2023. I had a lovely two-hour lunch with Tab at Panera on Wednesday. All five of us went bowling this afternoon as our church rented out a bowling alley for two hours. Although it will take Nadia and Ian longer to finish some subjects (ex. Algebra II), for most subjects our last day will be May 9, which means we only have nine days left at this point! The end of 5th grade (Oliver), 8th grade (Ian), and 10th grade (Nadia) is in sight! Nadia has completed four college classes so far this year. She's currently taking World History, and that course will be finished by June 9.




No comments:
Post a Comment