Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Heard the heartbeat!

Well we were there a longggg time but in reality our appt took less than 30 minutes. We got there about 2:15 (as they said to come 15 minutes early), and the nurse met with us from 2:30-2:50 (they had said that part would take an hour). She said the doctor would be with us in a few minutes. Well he actually didn't come into the room until 3:50; he did seem very nice. The nurse asked me what my EDD was and I said it is either July 18 or 20, and she entered July 18 (I know this as later the OB said that I was 13w4d). The appointment with the doctor took about 5 minutes - first we listened to the heartbeat. It took awhile for him to find it - but he did! He said it will get a lot louder as the baby grows bigger. The nurse and doctor both said the pregnancy is considered high risk - the nurse said it was because of my previous ectopic, infertility, and my age. The doctor said I was high risk only because of my age. So later he will have me have an appointment with the high risk doctor.

I knew when I walked in the room I wasn't going to have an ultrasound. It turns out they don't even have one in the office! This is a downside I guess of having picked the smaller hospital. Of course it was nice to have a 2 minute commute to work after my appointment. I would have any ultrasounds done in the hospital's radiology department. I knew there was a good chance that he'd just do the fetal doppler, but I admit I was hoping to receive a new picture showing a bigger baby! Plus others had posted they had learned the gender as early as 12-13 weeks through ultrasound so I had a tiny glimmer of hope that maybe we'd learn the gender today although I knew that was iffy. My next appointment is for February 15, and I made it for 1 hour and 45 minutes prior to my class just in case they are running behind again. They said the next one should be shorter. I'll be 18w that day which is definitely far enough along to learn the gender so maybe they'll send me over to radiology that day? I admit I was hoping he'd tell me when I'd have "THE" ultrasound. He gave me a bunch of orders for bloodwork. I called my primary care doctor's office, but their available appointment times didn't work for me. So I decided I'll just stop at the hospital (where the RE was) on the way back from ladies Bible study next Tuesday morning. He said it wasn't urgent. He said if anything is abnormal, he'll call me, but otherwise we'll discuss the results at my next appointment.

Since Paul didn't have to go to school today (his classes start tomorrow) and since he had an eye appointment this morning and also a car appointment, I asked him to come with me. So he got to hear our little one's heartbeat too! But actually I felt badly for him that he had to sit there for almost 2 hours for about 30 minutes of an actual appointment. It's been great to have him with me at these appointments. I made the next appointment that is at a time that's not good for him, but I figure I don't need to drag him to all my appointments, LOL! Now since I just said something nice about him, I can also say something funny. A couple of days ago he was on the phone with a friend from college. I could tell he was talking about baby and when he was silent and then answered "August" I had a feeling he had just been asked when the baby is due. I said it's JULY! LOL! I know I might be going back and forth between and EDD of 7-18 or 7-20 which is really such an unimportant thing, but come on I think he should at least know what MONTH the baby is due, LOL! His response was that he's not the calendar oriented person like I am, which is true BUT he'd better remember from now on that baby is due in JULY. The funny thing about a July EDD is that really this marks about exactly a one year gestation of sorts considering baby was conceived on August 1 then "week one" of pregnancy would have been two weeks before that. So from what would have been week one of a pregnancy (had this embryo been transferred on August 4 instead of Nov 1) until EDD is one entire year! And it feels like it's been that long. From Aug 1 (conception) to Nov 9 (BFP) felt like the world's longest 2ww as I knew conception had occured but didn't know if it would be a sticky bfp until Nov 9. So now I have to wait 4 weeks until the next appointment, but I think it will be easier now that I'm in the stage of pregnancy where the miscarriage rate is less than 1%!! PTL!!!! Of course I'll keep praying every day for our baby!!!!

No comments: