Well I had my hematologist appt this morning, and they took 9 vials of blood from me. I am being tested in regard to my platlet dysfunction as well as to see if I have (or am a carrier of) hemachromatosis, which my father has (and it's a genetic condition). The dr did tell me that maternal blood is very different in terms of coagulation. He said it quickly turns into something that resembles jello (thank goodness I don't usually eat jello as I don't want to connect it with blood in my mind, lol). He said the estrogen has this effect on coagulation. He made some comment about otherwise how would the cave women have survived (and not bled to death when giving birth). Well I will attribute to the wisdom of our Creator. Anyhow that was reassuring. He said that it would be wise to be prepared to give me a platlet transfusion if necessary, and he suggested that I talk with my OB to see whether a c-section usually involves less bleeding. He said if that's the case that it might be wise to go that route. Of course if the placenta doesn't move I won't have a choice in that matter. He wasn't sure though which type of delivery typically involves less bleeding. I have another appt with him in 4 weeks to go over the results. He said he might have me come in for more testing between now and then. He wanted to get input from a coagulation pathologist prior to selecting which tests I should have done, but he wasn't available when I was there this morning.
At this appt they also took my temp, weighed me, took my b/p, listened to my lungs, etc. I was curious about my weight. I was concerned since several weeks ago I had gained 3 lbs in 1 week. I also was nervous since I've been "on the road" more lately (in MD and GA) and therefore eating out far more than usual. For example, I usually have a yogurt and either English muffin or small bagel for breakfast and that's not the sort of breakfast I was eating while away from home. Anyhow in the last 3 weeks I gained 3.5 lbs. Since they said to aim for 1 lb a week that's pretty close to being on target. The RE never weighed me in the 1st trimester, but since my first OB appt (11 weeks ago) I've gained 13.5 lbs. So that's 2.5 more than "ideal" but not too far off the mark. It doesn't help that I have been forbidden to exercise and to take it easy as much as possible. It would be easier to keep the weight off if I was being more active. Well that's one appt down and 3 more to go in the next 8 days. Wednesday I see the pediatric cardiologist at 8:45am and then the high-risk OB at 9:15am, and next Tuesday I see my regular OB at 3:15pm. Paul is disappointed he can't go to the ultrasound appt on Wednesday. Hopefully they'll give me more than one picture this time! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment