Well the hematologist's office called and my appt has been scheduled for March 31. I haven't seen one for about 20 years. I am curious to see if they can more precisely diagnose my clotting problem now. I am glad this is being looked into as I know there is bleeding involved in delivering a baby. While I'm there I am also going to be tested for hemachromatosis which is a genetic condition that my father has. One of my sisters has been tested for it, and she was found to be a carrier. So I have several appts lined up in the next 4 weeks - OB next Tuesday and then the hematologist and pediatric cardiologist 3 weeks after that. We have a choice of health insurance at my university, and I picked the HMO option which I know is surprising. I am sure most choose Blue Shield (either traditional indemnity or PPO). I chose Geisinger HMO because that was the only one that covered anything related to infertility. Well my primary care office called me today and was giving me a bit of a hard time about the hematology referral since I hadn't been seen by them for 14 months (when I had a physical for our 3rd home study and also for the form for the Ukraine dossiers). I told the receptionist that I am pg and being seen at least monthly by an OB so did I really need to have a physical? Thankfully she said they would make an exception since I am pg.
I bought some Zantac this morning. They had two different doses, and I picked the lower amount. I am hoping it helps. Of course my daughter is SOOO worth having heartburn, but if there's a way to relieve that without hurting her at all, then it's worth a try! My OB gave me a list of approved meds, and Zantac was on the list.
2 comments:
If the Zantac doesn't work for you, you can also try Pepcid AC. I took it in my first trimester (as recommended by my midwife) due to the pregnancy induced acid reflux/vomiting I was experiencing. I didn't need to take it much during my second trimester but now I am taking it regularly due to the third trimester heartburn.
As far as your budgeting for the next few years, how did you account for the costs involved with a baby (diapers, baby food, clothing, etc)?
Thanks for the Pecid AC suggestion, Allison. I wasn't too impressed with the Zantac today, but I'll try it again another time since I bought 10 pills today.
As for the budget, I included $75 a month for diapers/wipes and bumped the clothing budget up $200 a year (assuming I'll probably buy many baby clothes on eBay that should be able to be stretched pretty far). I bumped the food budget up $600 a year. Here's a funny thing - comparing the total we spent on food in 2005, 2006, 2007 the gap between the highest and lowest amount those 3 years was only $20 difference. LOL! When I say "food" I include paper products, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc. in that category. I am not planning on buying jars of baby food but rather making baby food myself (but would buy rice cereal and Cheerios and such). Lastly, I bumped up the medical budget as aside from IF stuff Paul and I rarely ever go to the doctor but I figure I'll be taking baby more often (thankfully our copay is only $10 for office visits or specialists and our copays for RX are also very reasonable).
Do these amounts sound reasonable? Am I forgetting any category that will likely also go up??
Post a Comment