1. I need to bring one of the potties back into the family room as Nadia has been announcing ahead of time when she needs to poop. In fact this morning she went so far as to go get me one of her diapers (some of hers and some of Ian's are on the kitchen table and she brought me one of hers) and then went and got me the box of wipes. She did all this before she started pushing. She definitely knows ahead of time when she is going to poop so maybe we can work on getting her trained with #2 before we work on #1.
2. She now understands about throwing garbage in the trash can. If she finds a little piece of paper on the floor, she brings it to me, says "garbage," and points to the trash can.
3. I was shocked this morning to discover she also understands what a grocery list is. She was eating some raisins and was upset when I told her they were all gone so I showed her the empty raisin canister to help her understand we truly didn't have any more in the house. She then walked into the kitchen and got a pen and my grocery list off of the kitchen table. I had been working on the list yesterday during her nap and had already written raisins on the list. She handed me the pen and paper and said, "raisins." I pretended to write it down. I am stunned she understands the concept of writing what we need down on a piece of paper. Maybe she's going to be "list oriented" like her Mommy, LOL! I didn't think my 21 month old would be helping me with my grocery list that's for sure!
4. Ian has progressively slept less and less the past four nights. We went from 9.5 hours to 9 hours to 8.5 hours to last night 7.25 hours. Last night his first stretch was 6.25 hours long and after nursing for 40 minutes he only slept 1 more hour. He had gone to bed later than usual (9:10) due to the fact I didn't get home until 8:50 from the Maundy Thursday service at church. He was crying when I came home, but as soon as I held him he went to sleep. I think he wanted Mommy more than he wanted more milk as he barely nursed at all. I kept jiggling him trying to keep him awake to get him to nurse, but it was pointless. I'm going to put him to bed closer to 8pm tonight and see if that helps. I'm wondering if he wakes up sometime between 3:15-3:45am no matter what time I put him down?
5. What made last night a REALLY rough night was that I had a bad case of insomnia. I had been thinking throughout the day about maybe offering him a bottle after I nurse him to see if he needs more than he can get from me. He can't seem to drink fast enough when he's given a bottle, and he always is very upset when the bottle is done. I know my milk is better than formula, but I sure hate to think I'm starving the little guy. When I see other babies who are 4 weeks older than him and weigh almost twice as much as he does (happened twice in the past 5 days), I just feel like I need to do something to fatten him up. However once I got home and found out how much Paul had given him during the 2 hours I was away from home last night, I wanted to throw all the formula and bottles away. He drank 7 ounces in 2 hours. A baby this size is supposed to consume about 22 ounces a day so that's a huge percentage of his daily intake. I had given him 2 ounces at the park so that Nadia could enjoy the playground (as typically the longest period of time I go without nursing him during the day is 40 minutes) so I was upset that he had 9 ounces by bottle yesterday - the most ever. Just last Sunday he had only 2 ounces the whole day. Since I couldn't sleep I came down and pumped 3 ounces, and I packed up the formula and bottles and put them in the basement and said he wouldn't be getting any more bottles until Monday when I am at work. I thought maybe I should start taking him with me to choir or stop going so that the only time I am separated from him is on Mondays and Tuesdays when I'm at work. I tried to sleep again and when I still couldn't sleep I resorted to cleaning the bathrooms. I don't think I've ever done that activity at midnight before. I figured if I couldn't sleep I might as well get something accomplished, and house cleaning hasn't been a priority lately. I have no idea why I got so upset. I wish feeding him wasn't such an emotionally charged issue for me. I seem to swing from one opposite idea to the other. I think Paul thought I had lost my mind. I knew I was being irrational. Anyhow pray for me to have wisdom as to what to do. At the moment I am thinking I am going to try to be separated from him as little as possible and see what the Pediatrician says at his 4 month appt in 2.5 weeks. If the right thing to do is to give him more formula, I hope it won't be so hard for me. Anyhow I got less than 4 hours of sleep last night, which is definitely not good.
6. I was going to let Ian cry this morning, but Daddy intervened. So his two naps that he's taken thus far today have been in my arms. It's hard to help Nadia get in the swing while holding Ian, plus he's too little to wear sunscreen so I am was thinking it would be good to take her outside while Ian naps in his crib. I should add that I was in the shower when Daddy went and got him. I probably would have caved and done the same thing if I had heard him crying. The ironic thing is that Paul has suggested we do CIO with him quite a few times over the past 3 months. I do love holding the guy, I just feel badly that Nadia has gotten very little of my attention the past 3.5 months. She's big compared to him, but she's still a little girl who needs time with her Mommy.
7. Nadia loves to see dogs when we go for our daily walk in the stroller. She loves it when some of the people that we pass bring their dogs up to her. I think we are definitely going to own a dog some day (considering Paul also is a dog lover). I had better get used to the idea, LOL!
8. The Curious George stuffed animal came in the mail yesterday that I got through my membership with the local PBS station. Nadia loves it!! "Monkey" is definitely her favorite tv show although her favorite thing to watch continues to be VeggieTales.
9. If you tell Nadia that she's funny, she will immediately start laughing. She reminds me of Paul who laughs at his own jokes even if no one else is laughing, but then his laughter causes others to laugh as well. :-) One of her favorite "inside jokes" is to say "mott." She said this once while pointing to the pantry and got very frustrated when Paul & I couldn't figure out what she meant. Now she says it just to be funny. After she says "mott" I always say, "What's mott?," and then she bursts into laughter. She has a great sense of humor! I wonder if we'll ever know what she was referring to the first time she said it (before it became a joke)?
10. The weather has been GLORIOUS since Wednesday, and it's supposed to stay like this for the next few days. Yes, spring continues to be my favorite season!!!
11. I've had Nadia in 24 month and 2T short outfits for the first time the past couple of days. The shirts fit her perfectly and the length of the shorts is just right, but it turns out she has a small waist. The top of her diaper is showing because they slide down (not all the way off like happens with her brother's 0-3 month size pants). Tomorrow I plan to have her wear a pair of short coveralls. Those will fit better. Since she is around the 80th percentile for weight, I wouldn't have expected her waist to be too small for size 24 months. In the past if something hasn't fit it's been because the sleeves or pant legs were too long.
12. Nadia loves stepping into either Paul's tennis shoes or my sandals, and now she can actually walk around the house in them. It's a hoot to watch her do it!
No comments:
Post a Comment