Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Health Insurance


This week is one of two weeks each year when we can switch health insurance options at work if we so desire. I started teaching in the state system in 2003 and first selected Blue Shield. I then found out that the hard way that they wouldn't pay for ANYthing related to infertility - not even bloodwork much less an ultrasound. So in 2004 I researched the options and found that one of the HMOs would pay for testing (SHG, HSG, etc) as well as bloodwork and ultrasounds. Although we still spent far more than $10,000 on procedures they didn't cover (IUIs, embryo transfers, egg retrievals, etc.), we still saved a few thousand dollars by switching to this insurance. Sometimes HMOs get a bad reputation, but I have to say that we haven't had problems with getting referrals and such with this one. Since we don't plan to do IVF again, I am turning in the form today to switch from the HMO to the PPO. I have to say I almost burst into tears over it. So if God wants us to have a third child, He's going to have to do it the "old fashioned" way, which never has resulted in a pregnancy for us over the past 8 years, but nothing is impossible with God. I am having a hard time deciding what to do with my maternity clothes and baby things. I assume I should sell them or give them away, but I'm having a hard time actually taking the steps that make it seem final that we are done having children.

It was exactly two weeks ago that Ian had his 4 month doctor appointment. During that time span he's gained 1 ounce shy of 2 1/2 pounds! It took him 2.5 months to gain 2.5 pounds up until that point. He seems to have grown up sooo much in the last 2 weeks (since size seems to equate to age at this stage). He should hit 12 lbs in the next day or two! So far he's still happy to nurse. I hope that continues. I am certain the free formula we received isn't going to carry us all the way to 12 months old, but I'm grateful that thus far we haven't had to start paying for formula. Last night was a better night for Ian (7 hours and then after being up for one hour he slept 2 more hours), but it wasn't a good night for Nadia. I am not sure if she's teething or coming down with something, but she was up crying quite a few times. I had her in bed with me from 12:00-12:30am and then I had a very hard time falling back asleep after that. Maybe tonight they can both have a good night of sleep. I'd sure love that!!!!

2 comments:

TylerandBrianne said...

They are killing us with copays. $30!!! per baby.... I can really tell he has gained weight. I am sure he has passed Bailey.

Joy said...

We recently took steps to make sure our family was complete, and while having another child seems like more than we could handle at this point, it was still very sad for me. So, I can relate.

Wow! Ian has now passed up Lydia'w weight at 4.5 months! (And she was overdue) That's incredible!