I knew that Early Intervention is only for birth to age three, but what I didn't know is that the intermediate unit (which takes over at age 3) doesn't deal with feeding issues. We will be on our own in just 10 months. Of course we can still take him to see a feeding team, but that will be about it since there aren't even other resources in this area to obtain through our health insurance. I would be thrilled if he was eating somewhat normally in eleven months, but I have to admit that seems very unlikely at this point. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I probably shouldn't have asked that question when my estrogen is likely at least 16 times higher than a normal cycle when one is just ovulating one egg. Other cycles I became more emotional earlier in the process (and I always reminded myself that my hormones were totally out of whack), but I didn't get overly emotional this time around until Sunday. The last three days I've been very prone to tears and a sense of feeling totally overwhelmed. Hearing that our OT assistance will end in 11 months was a tough bit of news to swallow today. I need to really pray for a miracle that Ian will learn to chew and swallow food between now and then.
Yesterday I forgot to mention that we skipped Nadia's ballet class. When I got home at 1:45pm, I wasn't really excited about getting back in the car at 3:30pm, but I was going to do so because I knew Nadia would be missing gymanstics and storytime at the library on Wednesday due to the retrieval. However it took Nadia a long time to fall asleep yesterday, and she was still asleep when it was time to go to ballet. I decided we would just skip class since I was exhausted, Ian is potty training, and Nadia was sleeping. She didn't wake up until 4:45pm (which is when her class ends). At least she will be able to go to Cubbies tomorrow night.
Ian hasn't had any accidents today. It's definitely easier to do potty training when we're not out and about so much! Two perks of him being daytime potty trained (aside from only using one diaper a day) are that he hasn't had any diaper rash for the past week (WOOHOO!) and we've taken down one of the gates. I find gates to be annoying. The one gate is right near the bathroom, and we don't want to slow down access to the bathroom! I told the OT today that my concern is that he can't go down the steps independently yet, and we have ceramic tile in the foyer (which is where he'd land if he fell down the steps). She suggested putting a sleeping bag at the bottom of the steps to make a softer landing area. I'm going to give that a whirl, and hopefully it won't be too long until Ian can safely go up and down the stairs independently. Nadia was able to do that long before she turned two. Each child is very different to be sure!
2 comments:
Two words came to mind as I was reading this post ... "GOD CAN!". Praying with you...
Praying for you. I hope your family is not complete, and you get a positive. God knows better than me though.
Post a Comment