Saturday, January 28, 2012

Thumb Guards and the Third Beta

Nadia's thumb guards arrived in the mail earlier in the week, but I didn't want to put them on her when she had the stomach flu. Yesterday was the first day she wore them. She took one off during her quiet time (or nap on the days she naps), but other than that she didn't object to them yesterday. I did see them in her mouth a few times, but she wasn't sucking. Her opinion of them dramatically changed when it was time for bed. Oh. My. Goodness. It was horrible. She was convinced she couldn't sleep with them on, and I couldn't calm her down. After about 75 minutes of attempting to get her to settle down, I finally just had to close her door and let her cry herself to sleep. She cried for about 30 more minutes before she konked out on the floor. When she woke up at 2:10, we tucked her in bed. I was nervous she'd go back to having tantrums at 2:10, but thankfully she went back to sleep pretty quickly. We haven't let her "cry it out" for about 3 years so it was tough to do, but I wasn't sure what else I could do (aside from taking off the thumb guards, which I was definitely not going to do). I am hoping and praying going to bed won't be nearly so difficult tonight, but if it is, I think I'm going to skip forward to letting her cry it out as I think she'd actually end up crying for a shorter amount of time. The instructions said to have the child wear the guards for 30 days. Here's to hoping they do the trick!

Ian managed to sleep through all her carrying on last night, but he woke up at 6:30, which is definitely earlier than normal. We then discovered he had a fever, and while I was having my bloodwork done at the hospital this morning, he threw up four times. Poor guy. It seems he got what Nadia had on Tuesday. He took one nap in my arms around 11:30, and right now he's napping in Paul's arms. I did feed him some solid foods for his first meal today, but since then we've just been giving him rice drink. He actually turned down the rice drink once, and he's always begging for more milk. That proved he wasn't feeling well!! I am praying he doesn't lose much weight. The other three members of this household can afford to lose a pound or two, but that's not the case with Ian. I have a hard enough time preventing him from losing weight when he isn't sick!  We had planned to go out this evening to celebrate the BFP and pick up our new glasses (which have been ready for a week), but we're postponing those plans until tomorrow in light of Ian having the flu.

Today's Beta was done 43 hours after the one on Thursday, and my hCG more than doubled in that time span. It was 351 today! WOOHOO! Way to grow, little one! I didn't do a hpt today. I am planning on doing my last one tomorrow (18dpo). Comparing my hCG with my last two pregnancies, my hCG is higher than it was with Nadia at this stage, and it's lower than it was with Ian at this stage. I can't completely compare apples with apples because I was tested at 19dpo and 21dpo with those pregnancies, but my number today (17dpo) was very close to what it was at 19dpo with Nadia and about 1/3 of what it was at 19dpo with Ian. The bottom line is that the baby seems to be doing just fine. I can't believe it! I'm soooooooooooooo thankful!!!!

No comments: