Monday, January 7, 2013

I love you, Oliver!

I decided this month to write a list of things I love about each child. Since Oliver turned 5 months old at 4:22am, I'm posting his list today.

I love...

1. how your face lights up when you see me if we've been separated a little while (such as when I'm changing your diaper after your nap)

2. your smiles  - just a kiss from Mommy can cause you to smile. You've been smiling for Nadia and Daddy for a a few months, and you started smiling for Ian a few weeks ago.

3. your laughter - usually I hear you laugh after I tickle you such as with my nose in your cheek, "eating" your belly, etc. Three days ago you laughed your little head off at something Ian was doing while they two of you were in the bathtub. I wish I had a video of that moment. Priceless.

4. your coos - I recorded a little video today to have a record of those sweet sounds. I love talking with you!

5. when you sleep in my arms at church on Sundays - pure bliss. If I didn't have other children or  housework to do, I'd let you take all your naps in my arms.

6. when you sleep in your crib - I am extremely grateful that you have been such a good sleeper the past two months. You take two naps most days. Every once in a while (like today) you take only one nap that lasts three hours. At the very least your naps put together total 2.25 hours, and sometimes they total 4 hours. The norm is about 3 hours altogether. At night you sleep an average of 10 hours straight. The least is usually 9 hours, and the longest (like last night) has been 11 hours straight. Thank you, thank you, thank you! As I've said to many people, my hardest pregnancy produced my easiest baby.

7. when you play in your gym - I am also grateful that you are getting better at playing in there a little bit each day so that I can do things like take a shower or cook dinner. I'm also starting to work more on you spending a little time in the high chair and exersaucer each day.

8. that you are gaining weight so nicely. You hit 11lbs three days ago, which put you at 2 tenths of one percentile (you'd been at 1 tenth of one percentile for a couple of months).

9. nursing you. I wish that I was able to nurse your exclusively, but I am grateful that the bottles haven't caused you to go on strike with nursing. The best nursing session each day is the first one in the morning. I love it.

10. seeing how many smiles you bring about in other people. You are a little magnet. Strangers can't walk past you without smiling at you or making some nice comment about how cute you are. Even though you fit size 0-3 month clothing very nicely these days, I still get comments (even within the last week) from people that at first they thought you were a doll, but then you blink or something and they are surprised to find out you are a baby. When Pop Pop carries you around, he says you are a "chick magnet." Ha ha!

11. kissing your chubby little cheeks. Your cheeks are irresistable. I kiss them dozens of times a day.

12. your beautiful blue eyes. I'm the only one in the family who doesn't have blue eyes.

13. that I am number one in your life. I know it won't stay that way, but I'm enjoying it for now.

14. your soft skin. I also find your skin to be irresistable. I love to stroke your cheeks.

15. holding you. My arms feel so empty when you're not in them.

16. your cute little feet. You think it is oh so very funny when I stretch your leg so your foot touches your nose. I've been known to kiss your little toes, which your Daddy thinks is revolting.

17. your cute little hands. Even in the NICU you would grab the collar of my shirt with your left hand when I was holding you. You did that for a few months. Recently you've switched to hanging on to my hair instead. Also, when I'm nursing you or giving you a bottle, we hold hands (again with your left hand). If I don't hold your hand, you clench it very tightly. You've done that since the first time you were fed orally (when you were 2 weeks old). You want to hold hands far more than your siblings ever did at this age. I love holding your sweet hand in mine!

To quote the book that Nadia has asked me to read many, many times, "I'll love you forever. I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be." As your big sister says, "I love you to the moon and back, Oliver!". Your Mommy, Daddy, big sister, and big brother love you dearly. We are ever so grateful that you joined our family!



No comments: