Monday, November 17, 2014

Are you ready?

About 25 years ago they started playing the "Are you ready for some football" song at the start of Monday night football games. I don't think they'll be playing that song tonight, but I will be watching at least part of the game tonight. I am still sick. If you don't count visits to REs or pregnancy related appointments, I've hardly gone to the doctor at all over the last 18 years. If I am sick, I usually just tough it out, in part because I assume most of the time it's viral and going to a doctor really isn't going to help anyhow. I was on antibiotics SO much during the first 20 years of my life that I have really tried to avoid them the past 20 years, but I have now been sick for 16 days, and I am starting to wonder if I should call for a doctor appointment. I'm definitely tired of having a sore throat, fever, cough, and runny nose. All I've used so far are LOTS of tissues and LOTS of cough drops and a few times I've taken some Tylenol. It's hard to have a sore throat considering how much I read to the kids, and it also has made singing in choir rather painful (and my voice doesn't sound the same as it usually does when I sing). Anyhow my way of preparing
for tonight's game was to go to bed at 8pm last night right after I tucked the kids into their beds. I was hoping that staying in bed for 10 hours last night would help me have enough energy to watch at least the first half of tonight's game. My other way of preparing for the game was to dress the kids and myself in Steelers attire. Ian didn't want to wear a Steelers shirt today (boo hoo), but Nadia and Oliver cooperated. Hopefully they will win tonight! I plan to start wrapping some Christmas and birthday gifts during the game as my way of doing inventory so I know whom I still need to buy gifts for (I know I still have a long way to go).

(1) On a cold rainy day I am thankful to be in a dry, warm house. (2) While watching the two bigger kids struggling to eat chicken and dumplings on Friday and Saturday, I was again reminded of how thankful I am that Oliver is such a great eater, as he shoveled what the others deemed offensive into his mouth and asked for seconds. (3) Even though I don't feel terrific at the moment, my illness is very minor. I am thankful that all five of us have been enjoying good health. (4) I've gone eleven years without being in car accident. Now that I usually have three precious little ones in the van with me, I am especially grateful for safety on the roads. (5) I'm ever so grateful for the privilege to be a stay-at-home homeschooling mom. There are times I miss being a professor, but my heart's desire is to invest my life in Nadia, Ian, and Oliver!


No comments: