Sunday, March 29, 2015

Early Birthday Presents

Last year my birthday was a non-event. I had been hoping to hear the kids sing the happy birthday song to me and had hoped they would make me birthday cards, but neither of those things happened. Other plans and usual celebrations fell through for a variety of reasons. I think it's going to be very different this year because Nadia and Ian keep giving me what they refer to as "early birthday presents." In the case of Ian, it's just his usual affection, but now when he gives me a hug, he tells me it's an early birthday present. I love hugs! Nadia tells me that she has one gift she's going to give me on my actual birthday, but yesterday morning she gave me an "early birthday present." She wrote a story and put the papers she had written it on in a fancy box and also included a penny. The penny and story were my first two "early birthday presents" from her. Yesterday she asked me if I like strawberries. Yes! She said, well you can have one of my strawberries, and you don't have to pay me any money for it because it's another early birthday present from me. This strawberry would be the first birthday present she purchased from a store for me with her own money, and in this case she actually earned this money by doing extra chores around the house. What a sweetheart! Speaking of birthdays, today is my niece, Grace's birthday. Right now my two sisters and I each have a two year old. Oliver will be the first to turn three, but for a little more than four months Grace, Oliver, and Julianna are all two years old!

No comments: