Monday, May 29, 2017

Fall Flag Football

The kids have played flag football in their gym class on Fridays, and so I asked them what they thought about playing Upward flag football this fall. Nadia was a very enthusiastic YES. Oliver said he'd rather play that than soccer, and Ian said he'd prefer to do it if his siblings were. At least one of our children have played soccer every spring and fall for 4.5 years, but we are going to be taking a break this fall. Some of the kids might play soccer next spring, but last night I registered all three of them for Upward flag football. Their evaluations will be in June. The practices start the second week of August, and the eight games are held every Saturday in September and October. There are two churches within 30 minutes of our house that offer Upward flag football. I picked a Baptist church that I estimate is 20-25 minutes from our house. We will have to drive farther than we do for Upward basketball or AYSO soccer, but there is only one practice a week and all the games are at the same location, which means it's less hectic than soccer or softball. The teams are separated by gender and grade.
The three grade groups are K-2, 3-5, and 6-8. I'm hoping that Ian and Oliver will be on the same team. I like having the kids try a wide variety of things so I'm happy they'll get to try at least one season of flag football. It could be our first and last, or it might become something we do for several years. Time will tell. It cost $210 to register the three kids AND buy three uniforms so it's certainly not as expensive as softball has been this spring.

Last night I also added two things to our summer schedule - attending one Crosscutters game (minor league baseball) and a Little League World series game. The good news about both of those is they won't cost us any money (except for parking for the Little League game). It's embarrassing to admit we live about 15-20 minutes from where they hold the Little League World Series every year, and we've never been to a game thus far. Last year was the first time any of our kids had been to a baseball game. We went to a Crosscutters game on a night we could get free tickets, and it was an enjoyable experience. I figure

this year it will be more meaningful to Nadia now that she's played softball. Last  year we went on a Sunday because the games are at 5:00 on Sundays, but this summer the Sunday games conflicted with VBS so we're planning to go to a 7:00 game on a Tuesday night. I figure we don't have to stay for the whole game since the tickets are free.

We have been in summer mode for one month thus far, but since our local public school will finish their school year on Thursday, today I instituted a new plan for the next three months. I told Nadia and Ian that they can earn up to three iPad turns a day, and each turn will be 20 minutes long. It is their choice how many (0-3) turns they have a day. For each turn they must complete one of four tasks, and they can only choose each once a day. Their choices are reading (at least two chapters), practicing the piano, 10 minutes of math flashcards, or writing in their journal. I know Nadia will read far more than two chapters most days, but the additional reading will not earn her an iPad turn. The only subject we haven't finished is Bible. We are currently on chapter 21 of Jeremiah, and we still have all
of Lamentations and Ezekiel to read. Then we'll be done with the Old Testament. We're going to start the New Testament in the fall.

One of my FB friends posted a link to this article today. Some things on the list don't interest me (such as the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland which we walked right past when we went to the Great Lakes Science Center last month), but most of the things on the list are indeed places I would love to take the kids some day. Some are places I haven't been to yet such as Hawaii or Alaska. A few places on the list I have been but Paul and the kids haven't been there yet. There are eight on this list that we've already done with the kids: Kennedy Space Center, Boston (although we need to return there to do more of the historical sites), Grand Cayman Island (I was pregnant with Oliver but the other two swam with the stingrays), Disney World, Cedar Point, Plymouth Plantation, Chicago, and Sesame Place. I toyed with taking the kids up the Statue of Liberty this summer, but I've decided to wait until Oliver is 48 inches tall. We only live 4 hours from Niagara Falls so I think that could be something we do in the next year.












No comments: