Sunday, February 3, 2019

Giving Thanks


I haven't posted as regularly lately, and I just realized I haven't written a gratitude post since January 15. Oops!

1. On January 16 Micah and Isaiah came over for a play date. While the four boys played, Nadia, Tab, and I talked. I'm very thankful for this family!

2. Nadia won 2nd place (and $25) at the science fair on January 17.

3. I got my hair cut on January 18. I like the woman I've been going to lately. This salon is more expensive than where I used to go, but it's very close to our home, and I like the way she cuts my hair. The only other downside is that she takes FAR longer than anyone whose ever cut my hair before. I am so thankful that the kids could each have a 20 minute turn on the iPad to help pass the time, plus the salon owner's dog was there as well which helped the kids be well behaved for 90 minutes. I'm also glad I only need to get my hair cut three times a year.

4. We celebrated Ian's spiritual birthday on January 20. I'm
eternally grateful for salvation provided through faith in Christ and that I my three children have each made a profession of faith!

5. The kids enjoyed Spanish class at the library on January 23.

6. Usually the meeting with student teachers is on the Monday before the semester begins, but this year they held it on Tuesday because of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, which saved me a trip to campus!

7. Our new Bible study on 2 Timothy began on January 25. We have a total of 7 moms plus 1 teenage daughter in the study.

8. The kids and I enjoyed a production called "Freedom Train" about Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad on January 28. The show was free!

9. I picked up a new K'nex set on January 29, which I won from participating in a survey.

10. Ian has scored one free throw plus two baskets over the course of the first four games

this season.

11. We got a match through our timeshare! We are headed to North Myrtle Beach for the first week of June. I've made hotel reservations for one night in Charlottesville, VA, one night in Kill Devil Hills, NC, and one night in Portsmouth, VA. I just need to book 2 nights in Williamsburg, and the lodging arrangements will be complete for the trip.

12. I was getting concerned that all of the Lion King tickets would be sold out in Norfolk, but we were able to get tickets for a show on May 30 (one of our stops on our way down to the beach).

13. It was so cold that I got a day off of school on Thursday! Having an extra day at home with my kids to homeschool and do housework put a smile on my face!

14. Our Pastor got good results at his CT scan on Monday. Thus far the cancer hasn't spread -PTL. He will be having surgery to remove the tumor from his leg (hamstring) this Tuesday.

15. Ian has learned how to tie his shoes! He needs to practice more to be able to do it more quickly. I started to teach Oliver as well, but since his sneakers are Velcro it seems pointless at this time since he won't have a chance to practice the skill.

16. It didn't work out for the kids to have an ice skating lesson the last two weeks, but they are scheduled to have one in two days.

17. I was going to get tickets to a concert (Matthew West, Michael W Smith, 10th Avenue North, etc.). They said the tickets cost $20, but then when I went to buy them and dealt with Ticketmaster's ridiculous fees, I said nope - too expensive. Then I submitted a volunteer application for Nadia and I to pass out brochures for Compassion (age ten is the youngest to volunteer so Ian is too young). Then they sent me a BOGO coupon code. So I bought tickets for Paul and the boys since I only had to pay for two of them. We're looking forward to the concert!

18. I finally have gotten in gear
with losing weight. I have been wanting to do so for at least 7 months, but I didn't take action until last week. I have lost at least 2 pounds so far. Here's to hoping I can lose at least 28 more by the end of May! The have goodies in my Sunday School class. Today the options included oatmeal raisin cookies and brownies - both of which I enjoy (brownies are one of my MOST favorite foods), and I resisted the urge and only had a cup of herbal tea. I don't usually drink tea, but I figured it might help me avoid eating anything. Now to hope I can continue to demonstrate self control....

19. The kids are writing more. Nadia and Ian are working on using "ly" adverbs, strong verbs (ex. not using words like "said" or "walk"), and using who or which clauses.

20. We are able to watch the Super Bowl on our tv for free even though we don't have cable (via an app). Can the Rams help the Steelers out and beat the Patriots?

21. We received a new devotional at church today for the kids that focuses on science. Looking forward to reading a new devotional after we finish the one we're reading now on the names of God. Ian is loving his new Adventures in Odyssey Bible we gave him for his spiritual birthday.






No comments: