Friday, April 19, 2019

Good Friday


When I first started teaching at the university, we had a "reading day" (no classes) on Good Friday. They stopped that practice more than ten years ago. Our spring break falls in the middle of the semester and has nothing to do with Easter. Wendy's kids (who go to the public schools in Chicago) get a full week of school off the week before Easter (this week). We spent spring break with them in 2017. I'm hoping to spend at least a few days with them during their spring break next year. How many days will depend on whether or not I am employed next spring. The school districts in our area at least had today off, and some have a longer spring break. The school district we live in has off from April 18-22 this year. I was able to observe a student teacher in the neighboring district yesterday. The Christian school had off today so Nadia didn't have art, but the homeschool gym class that had been on hiatus for a few weeks resumed today. While the kids were in their 90 minute gym class I went to the grocery store, CVS, and the library. I wanted to get the ham for our Easter dinner on Sunday plus I got the kids each one treat at CVS. I ended up giving them their Easter gifts today. I haven't given them Easter gifts in the past. I can tell that for some households it comes close to rivaling Christmas in terms of how many gifts the kids get. Oliver received a poetry book (one of your recommendations, Jennifer) and a white chocolate egg. The poetry book came with a CD so he can listen to it (which is good because it's not at his current reading level). Ian received the latest Imagination Station book (which Nadia will also read as she loves Adventures in Odyssey) and a caramel filled chocolate bunny. I gave Nadia a bag of jelly beans and two books that are also related to Adventures in Odyssey. 


We skipped the egg hunts on April 6. The kids went to one on April 13 in our town's park. It was absolutely gorgeous out that day. The kids went to another one on April 14. It was a rainy day so the church moved it inside. Their children's choir sang three songs as part of the program they had prior to the egg hunt. Three girls in our neighborhood whom Oliver plays with were in the choir. It's been pouring down rain today (another flood watch is in effect). It's supposed to be a nice temperature tomorrow, but there are supposed to be more showers tomorrow. We have four egg hunts on the agenda. We shall see how many we actually attend if it's raining. We're headed to church tomorrow night. 


Today I finally got caught up with writing letters to the four kids we sponsor through Compassion. My goal is also to be totally caught up with grading before I go to bed tonight. I made enough rigatoni and meatballs for dinner today and tomorrow, which means I don't need to cook tomorrow. 

I know that the Friday when Jesus died was truly a good day because He paid the price for our sin, but when I think of all the suffering He endured, it seems a misnomer to call it a "good" day. Thankfully He rose again, which is why resurrection Sunday is such a joyful remembrance. We serve a living Savior! It's been very hard to lose my mom and brother in less than three years, but I have the assurance of being reunited with them some day, which is a great comfort. I can't imagine how much more painful the grief would be if I didn't have that hope.

P.S. These pictures are from April 3-7. 


No comments: