Well I've started working on two baby registries online. Some items I am waiting to add until we find out the gender. I have asked one friend for advice and read some info on discussion boards online as far as what people are really glad they got/asked for and also what they could have done without. I thought it wouldn't hurt to solicit advice here as well. :-) So if you have any recommendations as far as things I definitely should include or things that really aren't needed, I am all ears! :-) I already own a stroller, infant carrier, Snugli, sling, baby monitor, mirror (for the car when the baby is rear facing), pack-n-play, car seat, base for the infant carrier so it can function as a car seat, diaper bag, high quality double pump, and a contour changing pad that I have placed on a dresser to make it the "changing table." We'll be picking out a glider or rocker and a crib that my parents are giving us for Christmas/birthday.
Another (unrelated) question would be, how far along were you when you felt the baby move? I can't wait to feel the little "flutters" and then the kicking!!!! :-) I've been looking forward to that experience for many, many years.
10 comments:
With my first pregnancy, I didn't feel Ella move until I was about 17/18 weeks. However, with Lane it was probably about 13 weeks. I think I felt him so much earlier because I actually knew what I was looking for. At first, it feels like a little tickle. Even after you do feel it, you won't feel it on a regular basis until you are 20 or more weeks. What a wonderful feeling it is!
Definitely you need Resinol for diaper rash (it is good for alot of things). Recommended to me by a RN in the nursery...
With my first I think I was about 18 weeks before I felt him for the first time...with the rest of my pregnancies it varied from 11 weeks (with the surrogate twins) to 15 weeks.
I remember needing an obscene amount of crib sheets and recieving blankets...with my second my motto was you can never have enough!!
I ditto what Ayre said about the crib sheets and receiving blankets, ESPECIALLY if you have a "spitter" like I do. Not so much now, but the first 4mo or so, Noah would spit up in his bed All The Time. And you can only do so much laundry...
Receiving blankets are good for swaddling and the cloth diapers are great for spit up. My general recommendation is to get three of things such as crib sheets, changing pad covers, etc. You can then have one on, one waiting to be laundered and one waiting in the wings in case you need to change it sooner than you expected to! I also used something (I think it's called a crib sheet protector?) to protect the crib sheet. It ties onto the crib rails and just covers a portion of the crib. This way, if baby spits up, you just change the protector thingie and don't have to change the whole sheet. I probably had two or three of those too. If you have any specific questions, please ask! I'd love to share my experience (and opinions!)! :)
Oh and as far as movement goes, I didn't feel movement with my first until 19/20 weeks (that's also when I had THE ultrasound). This time around it was much earlier.
Thanks everyone! Allison, I had not heard of sheet savers (that's what it seems they're called) but I will definitely be adding them! It seems easier to change those than to change the whole sheet.
As far as specific questions, I am sure I want a boppy pillow and a jumper. I know babies love to jump and they aren't that expensive! I am also sure I want a play gym. A few items I was unsure if they were really necessary and have been trying to get opinions on would include: bouncer, swing, and exersaucer.
Here are my rambling thoughts on recommended items:
Bibs... not just for feeding time, but also if your baby spits up a lot, they come in handy for some babies to wear all the time (the first few months). I would definitely get a bouncer. We never used an exersaucer or swing or jumperoo, but the bouncer and play gym were items we used a LOT. If you're looking into swings, check out a product by Graco (if your carseat is by Graco or compatible with Graco)--it's a swing "frame" that you snap your Graco carseat onto! (Infant carrier style carseat). It's way cheaper than traditional swings and takes up less storage space when you're done with it. You may want to put batteries on your registry to go with the swing and/or bouncer. Swings especially are battery-guzzlers (from what I've heard). Another item to keep in mind is a second stroller-- it's nice to have both a larger stroller and an umbrella stroller. The umbrella stroller is very compact for keeping in the trunk. Also, you may want to register for Pack-n-play sheets if you don't already have them. Also, check to see what supplies came with your electric pump. You may need additional bottles (compatible with your pump), nipples of various "flow speeds," and perhaps milk storage products such as breastmilk freezer bags (presterilized) unless you get enough bottles to just store all your milk directly in bottles rather than freezer bags. Of course, your need for milk storage will depend on how much you're working/pumping as opposed to just nursing directly. Check to see if your pump came with an insulated bag + ice packs for transporting pumped milk; otherwise register for these too. :) And you could consider adding a manual pump to the list if you want a compact, easy-to-clean pump to use when the electric pump isn't convenient. I use the handheld Avent Isis pump--works great. In my experience you don't have to register for baby clothing-- you will get clothing whether or not you specifically ask for it (which is great... I'm just saying you don't have to specify). :) Boppys are great, and register for one or two Boppy covers so you can remove the cover and throw it in the wash. Another item I highly recommend is a "BundleMe" for the cold weather. Your July baby won't need it at first, of course, but by the fall/winter it will come in handy. It's a warm liner with zip-on blanket that fits onto your infant carseat (can also be put on the stroller, but we've used it just on carseat). Essential for here in Chicago and would come in handy in your climate too. Another random item would be "links" for connecting toys to the carseat, stroller, etc. Very handy... can never have enough of those links. :) Also, an ear thermometer (or one of those new "temple" thermometers. Have I rambled on enough? Everyone has different opinions, but those are my thoughts off the top of my head. :)
As for baby movements, felt them at 20 weeks in my first pregnancy (after eating lots of sugar!) :), and much earlier (I think about 15 weeks) in my second pregnancy.
Thanks, Wendy. My infant car seat is by Evenflo so I don't know if that will work with the Graco product you mentioned. I had already put an umbrella stroller on the list as I remembered from talking to you before that it was something you found most useful. :-) I also checked the pump and it did come with an insulated bag and ice packs. It came with 4 bottles plus I had already bought 3 others. And the pump comes with an attachment so you can convert it into a manual pump if you want. I guess that's the perk of having purchased a very expensive pump - comes with lots of stuff! I wouldn't have bought a $300 pump if I had known I'd be nursing a biological baby. Anyhow while checking my supplies (mostly stuff I bought 3 years ago for an adopted baby) I have 5 receiving blankets (yellow/green) so I guess if I just register for one more gender specific pack that should be enough, right? I only have 1 sheet for the pack-n-play and 2 for the crib (all white) so I'll register for more of those later. I do also have 5 bibs so far. I had a carrier cover on the list as well as temple thermometer (never saw that one til I saw Yvonne's and I thought it was very handy!). I will add links to the list. Someone else had suggested that, but I hadn't put it on the list.
So maybe the swing is optional if you didn't have one for your kiddos. Hmmm seems like everyone agrees on the bouncer though! Well thanks again everyone for your input. It's most helpful! ;-)
Well as far as your specifics go - I used my boppy a lot. We never had a jumper and I only barely used my playgym (but that may be because we had a one-year-old puppy when Michael was a newborn!). I used the bouncer a lot when he was a newborn, and I used our swing a lot too. As far as the exersaucer - it's key for when the baby is a bit older. I think ours said you could start using it at 4 months, but it was in our attic until Michael was six months. It's great to use when your baby is crawling and mouthing things but you need to keep them in one place so you can make dinner!
Post a Comment