Friday, February 22, 2008

19 weeks!

Well according to that ticker I've been using, baby now is in the double digits as far as weight goes (in ounces of course, LOL). I imagine at the u/s (in just 11 days!) they'll give us that info on baby (length, weight). Just one more week and baby will be half-baked (presuming he/she goes full term).

It snowed Wednesday night, and it's supposed to snow again today. All the school districts (in a large radius around us) are closed today. Paul's school is on a regular schedule. If it weren't for the fact that he has an exam at 9:00, I believe he'd stay home today. He's taking my cell phone and leaving a lot of extra time to get there, and he's going to come home right after the exam is over as it's supposed to turn to sleet/ice this afternoon (and then back to snow again this evening). My school is on a compressed schedule which frankly makes NO sense to me. They are going to have more people driving in the sleet/ice??? There are 4 of us in my dept who teach on MWF (the others teach on T/Th). I emailed the other 3 to see what they are doing. One (who has a 2 hour commute to work as she lives near King of Prussia) has already cancelled. One said she's waiting to see what I decide (she has about the same commute as I do; she cancelled that one Wednesday when I didn't cancel). I haven't heard back from the 4th yet. I have some time to decide as this means my classes wouldn't start until 1:20. I did cancel once this semester, but it was my Tuesday night class. So this would be my first time to cancel my 3 MWF classes for snow/ice if I decide to go that route today.

Speaking of schedules, the fall schedule has now been posted online. I see I am scheduled to teach 3 sections of undergrad LA from 8:00-10:50 MWF and one grad class from 5:00-8:00 Monday nights. The part of this that pleases me is that the grad classes are back to 5-8pm (they are 6-9pm this semester and I definitely prefer 5-8 as do many of the students). The perplexing part is that I asked my chair to keep M&M I open for me in case I opt to teach 2 night classes (part-time schedule). I have taught M&M I the last 8 semesters. He has someone else scheduled to teach it, someone who has never taught it before (I know this because he started the same semester I did and I've taught it every semester I've been here). That is scheduled for Wed pm. Well if we find out that I will be working PT in the fall, I will ask if I can still teach it. I can't see why the other prof would mind since he's never taught it before. There is an evening section of Social Studies that no one has been assigned yet on Tuesday nights 5-8 that he could teach if I do the Wed pm one OR I could teach if he doesn't agree to the switch. I have taught SS before (but not since spring 2005). I have to say I've liked my schedule this semester better than last. Last semester I taught MWF 8:00-10:50 and MW 5:00-8:00. My schedule for the fall looks virtually the same minus the W 5:00-8:00 as I wouldn't be on overload like I was this last fall. This semester I've been teaching MWF 12:00-2:50 and T 6:00-9:00. I wonder though, which is better in light of a baby's schedule? Of course I have no idea what I'll be doing in the fall. I will be a SAHM if we move out of the area. If we stay in the area I was planning to teach PT not FT. But if for some reason I am teaching FT in the fall, which do you think would be better - for me to arrange for someone to watch the baby (in our house) from say 7:00-11:30 (that includes office hours and driving time) MWF or would some other time of day be better? Here again is why it would be so nice if we knew where Paul was going in the fall. The students start registering in about 4 weeks. At that point the day/time a course is offered can't be changed (although I could still switch to teaching a different class or cut back to PT).

Lastly, for those of you who don't know me IRL, I should say that I am a person who goes to the bathroom frequently even when not pg. I'd say I rarely go more than one hour during the day without going. I am sure I'd be a good candidate for Detrol, but I've opted just to go a million times rather than pop a pill every day. If I know I'll need to go an hour or longer w/o going then I don't drink anything or eat any fruit. During the night (when not pg) I get up a few times to go but not every hour. Well I've been getting up to go during the night more than usual while pg (even in the first tri). I was guessing maybe about 6 times a night, but I hadn't actually counted. Well last night I kept track and that's about right. It seems I need to go every 90 minutes. For example I went at 3:00, 4:30, and 6:00 am. Thankfully I can usually fall right back to sleep very easily (well not at 6:00am but prior to that I mean). I wonder if I'm going to have to go MORE often during the night in the 3rd tri?

3 comments:

Joanna said...

My guess is YES you will have to pee more in the 3rd tri. This is all way tmi for me to post in a comment, so I'll email you the rest, LOL!

lmstephenson said...

Sorry Ruth, but the bladder thing only gets worse as the baby grows bigger. As far as your working schedule goes, the 7-11:30 schedule will be nice, especially when the baby is small. They sleep so much, that it doesn't really matter if you are there in the am or pm. That is the schedule I worked when Lane was little. It was fine his first year, but not good for his 2nd year. He was awake all morning with the sitter, then slept all afternoon with me. I felt like I missed the good part. That's when I decided to stay home with him.

The Adventures of Jing and Ying said...

Ruth, when I went in for my 23 week ultrasound (to find out if boy/girl) they had me drink a ton of water. I had to pee so bad that it literally hurt. I was terrified of peeing on the examining table, lol :)

Can't wait to find out if you're having a boy or girl (but my money is still on a girl!)

Erica