Thursday, May 27, 2010

Forward and Backward


As expected Nadia has been taking forward and backward steps in her potty training. I was amazed that she woke up dry this morning as she had been in the diaper for about 11.5 hrs! I put her on the potty right away. She didn't go, but a few minutes later she screamed "pee." There was a very small puddle on the floor; so I knew she wasn't done. A few minutes later she got a lollipop (the breakfast of champions!) for peeing in the potty. Later she had an accident in the carpet. She also peed during her two hour nap. I expected that since it had been awhile since she'd gone even though I had her sit on the potty many times.

I taught tonight so Paul was responsible for the potty training for the first time (from 3pm until she went to bed). During that time span she had one accident (on the carpet unfortunately) and two successes (peed and pooped in her potty). I have to say I enjoyed the reprieve from potty training. It's not fun! I see enough progress though that I've decided we're seeing it though this time. No turning back! In March she cried when she succeeded on the potty. For whatever reason it scared her. That hasn't been happening this time. I do believe she'll be potty trained before she turns 2 - at least during the day, and if she keeps waking up dry in the morning, then we'll also work on the night time training as well. I was only planning on working on the day time at this point.

Something that Ian has made a lot of progress with is his ability to be happy somewhere other than my arms for longer periods of time. I have been able to make good use of the gym, bouncer, and swing the last several days when I need to take a shower or am pushing Nadia on the swing, etc. Of course I still love holding the guy. He and I took a nap together today for the first time in a long time. It felt great to get a nap since I'm still not getting enough sleep at night, and it also felt wonderful to have him snuggled close to me since I know the days when that will happen are definitely numbered. I had planned to go grocery shopping during that time span, but I am definitely glad we napped instead. Paul has been staying home this week (aside from Tuesday) preparing for his comps so I had planned to take Ian with me to the grocery store during Nadia's nap as I am not planning to take her to the store while we're in this stage of potty training. I'll probably go tomorrow instead. I don't regret my choice one iota!

2 comments:

Joy said...

Sounds like Nadia is really motivated! That's great! I'm glad you enjoyed a nap with Ian!

TylerandBrianne said...

He has become a very chunky monkey. I will not even discuss potty training. My least fav thing to do.