Wednesday, December 7, 2011

First Field Trip

Nadia is going on her very first field trip this evening. A couple of weeks ago I signed a permission slip for the first time in my life. I've created many permission slips in my life. When I was a middle school teacher, I took my students on MANY field trips. I think I took my kids on more field trips than any of the other teachers in the school. Nadia's first field trip is to a nursing home. The Cubbies and other children involved in that AWANA program are going to go caroling and host a Christmas party for the residents. Parents were invited to participate, but Paul doesn't enjoy caroling, and I really can't miss my choir rehearsal due to all the music we are singing in the near future. We typically sing one anthem each Sunday. In December we also sing an entire cantata one Sunday (on the 18th this year). Every other church I've been in the choir director would use some of the songs from the cantata for the other Sunday services. Not this choir director! We only sing those songs when we do the whole cantata. We are also singing two Christmas anthems on December 24th and two others on December 25th. Altogether that's a LOT of Christmas music to rehearse! I am singing a solo in one of the songs on the 25th, playing my flute some in the cantata, and playing a flute solo this Saturday night at our Christmas dinner. All that to say, I can't skip choir rehearsal tonight! Since I plan to homeschool, I will be participating in most of their field trips. :-)

This morning we had our usual routine of gymnastics from 9:00-9:45 followed by the library program that begins at 10:00. We left that program a little early for our appointment at PictureMe Studios. They were having a special where you can get a free single image CD and one sheet of prints for free (5x7 with 4 wallets). The photographer took two pictures of the kids together and several of each of them individually. I wasn't super keen on any of the ones of Nadia. I decided to wait until Maryland and ask my sister to take one of her as she got a really nice one of Nadia on a rocking chair (that was mine when I was a child) last year. I thought it would be neat to take a similar pose this year to show her growth from last year to this year. Plus Nadia has LOTS of (way too many) Christmas dresses. She can wear a different one for the photo my sister will hopefully take. I bought a few prints of just Ian. I was proud of myself for walking out of the studio having spent less than $17. At home I ordered prints of the above photo (from the CD). I purchased one 8x10, four 5x7's, eight wallets, and four 3.5x 5's. All of that put together cost me (drum roll please) $5.99. Can you tell I am a huge fan of PictureMe studios? I'm not planning to return to Sears anytime soon. The pictures haven't been uploaded on PictureMe's website so I can't show you the other ones yet, but the one above was the best one anyhow (in my opinion). It's not an amazing smile for either child, but I still think it's a very nice Christmas photo.

No comments: