For the last 5 weeks I've been allowed to take a brief shower every other day. There have been times I have gone longer than that between showers because of bleeding or the spinal headache. Today was the second time in six days I had a shower. I was about to get one yesterday morning, but then I discovered I was bleeding, and they wouldn't let me take one here at the hospital yesterday. This morning I was given permission to take a brief shower. I feel so much better when I feel clean and also have my own clothes on. I am not a fan of hospital gowns that expose your backside!
Yesterday's bloodwork revealed that the only antibodies I have are still K and Fya. I don't have any anti-D antibodies, which is a relief since 5 weeks ago the Rhogam shot was given one day later than recommended. Last night they gave me another Rhogam shot (my 7th one since 2005) and a P17 shot (my 9th one since May). They said that the bloodwork showed that our blood hadn't mixed (baby's and mine). I am not sure why that is significant.
Around 4pm when Dr. Taboada was doing her rounds yesterday, I received permission to eat something more than clear liquids. One nurse questioned that decision (because I hadn't totally stopped bleeding), but the doctor said she wasn't going to starve me, and they could deliver the baby that night if necessary even if I had eaten. I ate "lunch" at 4:30pm and dinner at 5:45pm. I also made sure to fill our menus for the next week, and they must have been turned in "on time" because I received what I had requested for breakfast this morning. I am learning not to take things like a shower or being able to eat for granted. I wish I was having dinner at our house tonight, as someone from church is bringing stuffed shells, salad, and garlic bread. YUM! Sheila (the hostess) told me that she'll bring me food from the 9th floor's luncheon and dinner today even if I am not transferred up there before those meals are served. She said we're having steak salad and cake for lunch and pizza (from a restaurant) for dinner.
I put in a request for a bunch of books at the library as I only have 2 more books left to read. Tomorrow morning Paul is going to the library and then to Paul's parents' house to get the kids en route to visiting me here in Harrisburg. It will be great to give and receive hugs and kisses. I miss them so much! Paul is also bringing me more clothes. I held my office hours online via Wimba last night. One student came on to chat with me about some questions he had about the course. I'm grateful I'm able to continue teaching my online courses from the hospital bed thanks to a laptop and wifi access at the hospital.
No comments:
Post a Comment