Friday, October 13, 2017

Three sick kids

Oliver sleeping on the couch on Monday afternoon during my faculty meeting.
Oliver and Nadia started coughing in the morning on October 5. Their symptoms included a runny nose, cough, and a tendency to take naps during the day at random times. Ian started coughing on October 11, but it seems he might have a different bug because his included a fever, which theirs did not. I knew he had a cough like his siblings, but I didn't realize yesterday morning that he had a fever. I wake the kids up around 6:15 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then we are out the door around 6:35. The basically just go to the bathroom, brush their teeth, get dressed, put their shoes on, grab a pop tart to eat for breakfast in the van (I'd have to wake them up a lot earlier if they were eating breakfast at the table as they do all the other days), feed the guinea pigs, grab their lunch box that was packed the previous day, and out the door we go. So in all of that I didn't realize Ian had a fever. Tab called me about 7:50AM. I had my phone on silent, but I happened to be getting a file folder out of my bag when she called so I noticed it and answered it. My class starts at
8:00. She told me Ian had a fever of 101.7. She asked if she could just let him lie down and skip his schoolwork (yes!), and I told her she could give him Tylenol if he wanted some.

When that class was over (9:15), I called Paul and suggested that he call Tab to check on Ian. I figured if one of us needed to get the kids early from her house it would be him not me since I only teach two days a week and he usually goes in to work six days a week. I probably should have called him right after I talked to her the first time, but she hadn't asked for anyone to get the kids earlier than planned (I usually pick them up at 3:45PM), and I was focused on my class that was about to begin. Paul ended up picking the kids up at 11:00AM. I was grateful he was able to do that as I felt badly about Ian not having a parent to take care of him. I know he always wants to cuddle with me when he's sick. Plus, I didn't want to spread his germs to Tab's family, especially as they are leaving on vacation tomorrow. One of our neighbors will be watching our kids next week instead of Tab. Ian didn't
have a fever today (I checked his temperature to be sure), but he didn't feel up to playing glow in the dark dodgeball at gym class today. He and I hung out in the coffeehouse (so ironic given I don't drink coffee) while Nadia and Oliver had their 90 minute gym class. He finished his reading, science, math, and spelling during that time. I helped him some and also got some of my work done. On the way to gym class we stopped for a few minutes at the playground to take these pumpkin shirt photos. Oliver's was a hand-me-down from both Nadia and Ian, and I had gotten it at a yard sale a few years ago. I just got Nadia and Ian's shirts recently. I got Nadia's for a reasonable price, but I paid about $10 for Ian's, which is WAY more than I usually spend on t-shirts, but it's become a tradition, and now that I have an income I knew we could afford the splurge. Tomorrow night we are hosting two boys from an international choir that's singing at our church on Sunday morning. Hopefully we won't spread any germs with them! I am going to have them sleep in Oliver's room and have Oliver sleep with Ian in his
room.

I thought I'd write a prayer list as maybe some of you who read the blog might be inclined to lift up some of these requests for us.

1. For Tab's family (they have two boys ages 4 and 6) to have a wonderful family vacation and for all of them to be healthy. I have been earnestly praying they don't get sick from being around my kids!

2. For my kids to get over their colds and not spread them to Paul or I. I know we never feel like we have time to be sick, but aside from Thanksgiving week, it would be really challenging for me to get sick over the next two months.

3. For Margie's foot to continue to heal properly. Her surgery was four weeks ago.

4. For the chemo to be effective for Paul's mom and the side effects to be minimal. She has had a cold this week, and we're praying for her to be healthy again also.

5. For Margie's sister who has pancreatic cancer to have wisdom whether or not to have surgery.

6. For Americans in Turkey (such as my sister and her family) as the relations between the two countries has been deteriorating rapidly. For wisdom to know if they need to come back to the US sooner than planned. By March they might not have a choice in the matter.

7. That my application for Curriculum and Instruction certification would be approved by PDE. I have been told the only thing holding it up right now is the fact that when I taught in Maryland (at two private schools for a total of 4 years), I didn't have a MD teaching certificate. I had an Ohio teaching certificate that was valid at the time. The certificate requires 5 years of experience, and they will only count 2 years (maximum) from a university. I have 20+ years of experience, and 11 of those years were not at universities. The application plus the Praxis test (which I passed) cost me $400 plus considering I have a doctorate and 20 years of experience, I feel I more than meet the requirements of this certificate. This week I mailed them copies of my Ohio teaching certificates that were valid from 1992-2000 as well as two different Christian school certifications. They probably don't care about those, but they were saying I wasn't certified when I taught in Maryland when actually I had three different certifications at the time (Ohio, ACSI, and AACS).

8. For me to be able to teach an online class next summer. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to as an adjunct. I was told that I can, but only if there is a course they need to offer and none of the permanent faculty want to teach it. Two professors in the department are retiring in May so maybe that will help my situation. With three young children, teaching online would be the best for me. Praying maybe there will be something "left over" for me to teach, and even better hopefully something I've already taught  before (I've taught several classes online in the past).

9. That the Provost would approve the search for at least one permanent position in the department. The faculty are already on overload (or double overload in some cases), and at least two more professors are retiring in May. If this happens, then I could apply for the position and possibly go back to being a tenured Associate Professor (and maybe Full Professor some day). Praying for God's will in this situation! I'm thankful I am employed this semester, and although I haven't been officially offered a contract for next semester, it seems like I will be FT again in the spring. After being unemployed for 4.5 years, I am very grateful to be teaching and earning a paycheck again.




No comments: