Monday, August 6, 2007

PIO injections

Well I had been warned that the PIO injections were the most painful. So I was pleasantly surprised when it didn't hurt on Friday night. However, now I understand what they mean by "most painful." The others might burn or sting more when the medicine is being injected, but the discomfort afterward usually only lasted a few minutes. PIO doesn't hurt too much while being injected (particularly as I use ice before and afterward), but I am now in fairly constant awareness of the two injection sites (we are alternating sides each night). So my plan is that every time I feel discomfort that I will use that as a reminder to pray for my embryos. After today, I'll just be focusing my prayers on the 3 inside me as any of the other 4 that continued to grow will be in a frozen state. Paul thought I was a little crazy when he saw me with my hand over my belly encouraging the embryos to implant in my uterus, but he's been protective in his own way. For example, the nurse said to not allow myself to be overheated and not to go in a sauna or hot tub. So Paul has been encouraging me to take cooler showers than I normally do. My 48 hours of bedrest is almost done. I have to say I am glad! I really am ready for a shower and to "return to the land of the living" as my mom would say. I'll be teaching tonight at BU. Hopefully my next post will be to report good news about the 4 embryos that weren't transferred back on Saturday.

Finally, I still ask for prayers that I not develop OHSS. The nurse said if I am going to get it that likely the symptoms will start showing up this Wednesday. On the other hand I am relieved that my ovaries are still enlarged. If they go down in size it means I'm not pregnant. So I am hoping I'll have enlarged ovaries for about 7 more weeks or so (that's when they typically go down in size if you are pregnant). It's uncomfortable, but it's another way I can be reminded to pray for the three little embryos inside me. Hopefully all three have reached the blastocyst stage today! Grow little beans, GROW! Implant little beans, IMPLANT! I am praying for sticky little beans!!!

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Yep, those PIO shots can be doozies! My hips were sore for weeks, and stayed sore for a week even after I stopped the injections. I also had hard spots under the injection sites that lasted a few weeks post-inj. But so worth it!!!

Love,
Jo