Friday, October 17, 2008

Little Houdini

If it weren't for the fact that I value my sleep more than my curiosity, I would love to watch Nadia sleep some night. She always ends up in a totally different position than where I put her down (a full 180 degrees different). At least her arms don't get stuck any more thanks to the mesh bumper. Well last night I put her in a pair of hand me down pjs someone at church gave me. The pjs had four pieces - top, bottom, and two booties for her feet. I didn't expect the booties to stay on, but I knew she'd still be warm as I put her in a sleep sack at night. Well I was very surprised when I unzipped her sleep sack this morning to discover the only thing she had on from the waist down was a diaper! Her pants and booties were in her sack but not on her body. These pants had cuffs that were fairly tight around her ankles. I have NO idea how she got her pants off while in a sleep sack! As an adult I'd struggle to get my pants off without using my arms (while sleeping no less). So no more multiple piece pjs for Nadia! We will stick with one piece sleepers from now on as I think she needs to wear more than a diaper even if she does have the sleep blanket on. Unfortunately her room is the coldest in the house. I even get cold when I nurse her during the night in there.

Last night Nadia slept 6 hours and then after nursing for 30 minutes slept 3 more hours. So she got up an hour earlier than normal (5:30am). I had a feeling it would be hopeless to get her back down when she greeted me with a beaming face (I have yet to capture that on camera but I sure hope I do someday), but I still nursed her in the dark hoping to convince her it wasn't time to get up yet. I gave up at 6:15 since I needed to get ready for school. I said to Paul let's make sure she takes two naps in the crib this morning. I actually had that idea yesterday as she fell asleep in my arms while I was picking out which pose to order at Walmart and she then slept in the car and while I was grocery shopping in her infant carrier. I had said last night let's start putting her down again 2 hours after she gets up from her first 45 minute nap. I was definite about this plan after she got up so early. So Paul put her down at 7:00 and she slept for only 30 minutes, but then he put her down again at 9:10am and DRUM ROLL PLEASE she slept until 10:20am. WAHOOOO! That's more like it, Nadia! It was great to break the 45 minute nap barrier. :-) Let's hope this becomes a trend and not a one time occurrence.

We should have taken the photos today as she's been SUPER smiley and laughing so much today. Even Mommy kissing her on her cheeks brought on laughter today. Oh well hopefully we'll have more success the next time.She has started to find "eskimo kisses" (nose brushing nose) to be humorous as well. What fun! :-)

I weighed Nadia today, and she's now 12 pounds 9 ounces with clothes on (and a dry diaper). After her 2 month visit I guessed she'd weigh 13 lbs at her 4 month visit, and I think that prediction will prove to be accurate. I am curious to see how many inches long she is. She's not going to last much longer in the 3-6 month sleepers - on to 6-9 month for her pretty soon! I need to buy some more dresses for her. I'll just force myself to do that, LOL. She only has one dress in size 3-6 month so far and the 0-3 month ones are getting too short. Of course the sleeves are going to be too long, but we'll just roll them up.

Paul has another midterm exam this evening from 6:30-9:30. He thought the one on Wed was harder than he was expecting so I can only imagine what he'll think about the one tonight as he is finding thermodynamics harder than quantum mechanics. If you think of him tonight please pray he'll be able to do his very best! :-)

I have one more decorating question. I received four handmade quilts for Nadia of varying sizes. The largest was made by my handbell director (Carol), two from Paul's paternal aunts, and my friend Cheri bought one from her niece who makes and sells various baby items. How do people use quilts???? I don't want to just store them all in the closet all the time. The last week or so I had the one Carol made on the floor of Nadia's room. I think it looks nice on the neutral berber carpet. We never wear shoes around the house so it's not like we're walking on it with shoes on. Is this "rude" though? I don't know if that's an inappropriate use for a quilt.

3 comments:

Sprout's House said...

Baby girl ends up in the craziest positions too! Every morning, before we get her out of the crib, Dan and I try to guess how she will be positioned! It is amazing how many different and crazy positions she can end up in! Too funny. : )

Anonymous said...

My personal opinion is that it would be a bit odd to leave the quilt on the floor as a permanent "rug" there all the time, but it's normal to throw down a quilt temporarily to let the baby lie on it when Nadia is playing on the floor. Baby-sized quilts make wonderful wall hangings, if one of them matches her room well enough. When she gets older, she can use a quilt to keep her cozy in the crib. The official pediatrician recommendation is to wait until the baby is 12 months old to put thick bedding (quilt, thick blanket, etc.) in the crib with the baby, due to SIDS risk, but after 12 months, there's no SIDS risk anymore, and a blanket can be appreciated! Another idea would be to use a quilt as a "throw" that is kept on a recliner or easy chair/rocking chair. It can come in handy for snuggly time when reading a book to Nadia etc.

The Adventures of Jing and Ying said...

I love the way quilts look, but I've never cared for the way they feel (too heavy).

My mom has a lot of beautiful quilts, and she displays them. She has something that I call a "quilt rack." I'm not sure if that's the correct name, but it's made of wood and you can put several folded quilts draped over it.

In my mom's guest bedroom, she actually has a quilt hung up on the wall. It takes up a good part of the wall, and it's a great way to display a beautiful quilt.

I am LOL about your little Houdini. When Sophie was about a year old, I put her in a onesie with a turtleneck. When I went in to wake her up from her nap, the neck part was around her waist! Somehow she had gotten both arms out through the neck opening and then pulled the onesie down to her waist.

Erica