Friday, June 19, 2009

Mommy and Daddy

Two days ago Nadia said "Mommy" for the first time. Usually she still calls me "Mama" or "Mom," but once while I was pointing out different people in the photographs on our refrigerator, she pointed to a picture of me holding her and said "Mommy." Ah the moment was priceless.... Although she still says mama far more than dada lately, I think Daddy is feeling more confident lately of how much she loves him. He played hookey the last two days from school. YAY! Unlike most chemists who do their research in a lab (like he did for his master's degree), the field he's now in (computational chemistry) is all done on the computer. So really he can get just as much work done at home up in his office as he can in his office at PSU. If you factor in the 3 hour daily RT commute he can actually get more work done if he stays at home, but normally he still goes in 5 days a week. However his advisor left for Europe on Monday. So I guess it's a case of when the cat's away, the mice play, or in this case the mouse worked from home instead of at school. :-) So Nadia got to see more of her Daddy than usual, and there were several moments when she was VERY sad when he went upstairs to his office. This happened again today when he left for PSU. Not that Daddy likes to see Nadia cry, but I think it showed him that yes she really does love him very much!!

I've been toying the last few months with getting a new laptop. I wanted this one to last longer, but it's "issues" are really bugging me to the point that I'm going to get a new one today. Yesterday I spent a lot of time doing research on the sales at Best Buy, Staples, etc. to see where I should go and which one I should buy. I'm not looking forward to Vista (haven't heard anything good about it), but it seems that's what the computers come with these days. Hopefully the new laptop will last longer than this one did. One thing I definitely want this next computer to have is an HDMI port so that we can easily connect it to our TV which will make watching the instant viewing movies from Netflix much nicer than watching it on the laptop.

I think I'll be moving into maternity clothes more quickly than I did last time. So far I can still wear my regular clothes as long as I wear tops that cover up the fact I can't zip the skirts up all the way any more. I am not saying I look pregnant yet, but my belly has expanded enough that more and more clothes aren't fitting properly. Thankfully I haven't gained any weight yet. I am getting good use of my huge body pillow (what Paul calls "the nest") again. My back was already starting to bother me, and the pillow has made my back much happier this week. :-)

For Father's Day I got Paul an 8x10 of Nadia (and put in in a frame) and also got another frame that holds three 4x6 prints. Two of those photos were just of Nadia, and one was the shot on the airplane that included myself, Nadia, and his parents. The prints (including the 8x10) were all free from CVS. Good deal, eh? I gave them to Paul a little early so he took them to school today.

2 comments:

TylerandBrianne said...

I DO NOT like Vista. I wish I could smash my computer with a hammer b/c of it. I don't know if it is what is interfering with internet explorer or not but I can't even use Explorer. It keeps locking up. UGH.

Lucia said...

Great idea for father's day. I was just going to give my husband a card (we already went out for dinner to celebrate) but I am sure he'd love a new frame with pictures of the kids for his office :-)

As for Vista vs XP, we expressely asked Dell not to install Vista on our compter. They argued about it but complied. You might want to try that too...