I am happy to report that in the last 2 weeks I lost 1 pound. This brings my total weight gain to 27 lbs since the egg retrieval. Maybe my goal to not gain more than 30 pounds is actually still possible? I attribute the weight loss to the changes to my diet due to having gestational diabetes. Thankfully, my OB doesn't increase the frequency of visits due to GD. I had been told at the perinatologist's office that the visits to my OB would increase to two a week starting at 32 weeks. In reality, my OB just switched from every four weeks to every two weeks, but that's just because of where I am in the pregnancy, not because I have GD. I almost asked if we could wait 3 weeks because it means in 2 weeks I'll see him and the very next day have an ultrasound with the specialist, but I was just so relieved I don't have to go once or twice a week that I decided not to request a change.
Because of the contractions and cramping I had on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, he did an internal exam in addition to listening to Ian's heartbeat. He said that I am 1cm dilated, but that could be from the previous pregnancy. He said my cervix is still very thick. I take that to mean 0% effacement. He seemed to think there wasn't any cause for concern. Of course my mind flashed back to June 23, 2008 when the OB said I was only dilated 1cm and probably wouldn't go into labor for at least 3 weeks and actually my water broke about 12 hours later. However, I do recall hearing/reading somewhere that you do dilate earlier in your second pregnancy. Should I be concerned? I really don't want to give birth this week! Well in terms of the physical discomfort of pregnacy, I wouldn't mind having Ian tomorrow, but I know that's not best for him. Also, I don't want to spend any time in the NICU if at all possible, and I want to have off the first half of the spring semester. So even though there would be physical relief from having him tomorrow, I'd like him to stay in until January 8th if possible.
2 comments:
I will say a little prayer that you make it to Jan. I hate that you are having to stick your finger so much. I hate finger sticks!! Ouch..
It is true that it's common to dilate earlier in subsequent pregnancies, so I wouldn't worry too much about being 1 cm dilated, esp. if there's no effacement. I don't remember the details in terms of numbers of centimeters and such, but I was a few cm dilated for WEEKS with Rachel, and she had even dropped pretty low, with significant effacement (again I can't remember the numbers), making the docs think her birth was immminent week after week, but still she ended up being born late. Whereas with my firstborn Susie, I had a similar experience to your early labor with Nadia, completely unexpectedly. You just never know. The doctors can't really predict what will happen; they can only describe where you are in the prelabor process, but there is no telling how quickly you'll progress along the rest of the prelabor process. Well, you probably already knew all that, but I'm just saying... don't worry about the 1 cm... even though there is always the chance that it is a sign of early progression toward labor, my "signs" of early progression toward labor with Rachel proved false. I thought there was NO way she would be born in May (she was due April 30), but I was wrong! :) In any case, I agree with you that I hope for Ian's sake that he hangs on awhile longer.... although I am eager to meet him!
Post a Comment