Thursday, February 25, 2010

SIX Hours!

Last night Ian slept in his Nap Nanny from 10:10pm to 4:00am. That's almost SIX hours. WOW!! He then slept from 4:50-6:20am. I'm so accustomed to not getting back to sleep after his 4am feeding that I couldn't fall back asleep even though I was tired. Nadia woke up at 5:50. I think it's time to move the Nap Nanny from the pack 'n play in the living room to the crib in his bedroom. I think sleeping six hours is considered "sleeping through the night." Way to go, Ian! I can handle this for a few more months until we get to the stage where he'll sleep 12 hours straight. Nadia got to that point right about the time she turned 6 months old. Ian continued to be a good sleeper by taking a nap in his bed from 9:10 to 11:20 this morning. WOW! That's two days in a row that he's taken a 2 hour morning nap in his bed. I am going to change my routine so that I'll shower during his morning nap on the days that Paul isn't at home. The poor guy was often screaming while I took my shower. Nadia still plays in the jacuzzi tub while I shower. During his nap I can also get a little housework done and also have some quality one-on-one time with Nadia. What a blessing! I love holding Ian, but it's nice to go from holding him at least 20 hours a day to about 14 hours a day.

Paul picked up his new glasses this morning. He was planning to head to school directly from that appointment, but in light of the weather forecast he came back home. All the school districts around here were closed today. I bet they all feel foolish as although there is snow on the grass again, the snow has been melting when it hits the road. The roads are still black. Hopefully that will continue to be the case so that Paul's parents will still be able to come up tomorrow to watch Nadia & Ian when I head to school. I will be going in one Friday a month, and this Friday I have more than just my monthly 2pm faculty meeting. I also have plans to observe a faculty member at 1:00, meet with an advisee at 1:45, and participate in a grievance board hearing at 3:00. On Tuesday my department chair informed me that I won't be allowed to continue supervising an individualized instruction this semester since I have dropped to 50%. I have been part-time since October 2008, but I guess in the past years my total credits per year had remained above 22, which is the minimum (I'll be at 21 after the summer is over). I think I will still be allowed to do this in the summer. It's unfortunate because this was something I could do from home.

On Monday he told me that I'm scheduled to do 3 classes in the fall (75%). I had already been approved for a 50% schedule by the President. Making extra $$ next semester is not a big factor in my mind. The main reason I'm considering it is that it will probably be harder to go back to teaching 3 night classes (what I did last fall) in the future if I turn it down. If "your" course is assigned to someone else, it seems it's hard to get it back in the future. When I was full -time, I used to teach 3 sections of the undergrad LA in the mornings. I am quite certain I wouldn't be teaching that class if I went back to full-time. I honestly don't know what I'd be teaching. I was planning to go back to 75% next spring. I do know from experience that I only want to teach one course at a time this summer as when I taught 2 courses in one session last summer I found that to be too much (4 nights a week). I'm scheduled to teach one course T/Th in the first summer session on campus and one course in the second session by distance education - I can teach it from home. YAY! This means I'll get almost a 2 month break in terms of driving to campus in July and August. One other factor in regards to my fall schedule is that the third course is on Wednesday nights. I had planned to rejoin the choir, and their rehearsals are on Wednesday nights. The other two classes are on Monday and Thursday nights. I'll definitely teach those. I'm just not sure about the Wednesday night one. Hmm.....

No comments: