Monday, September 27, 2010

Rainy Monday

We played inside all day today because it was raining most of the day. I also let Nadia watch more tv than usual because she isn't feeling well. Yesterday Ian seemed fine, and Nadia also seemed fine except she had no appetite for lunch or dinner. I finally got her to eat a banana before she went to bed as all she had prior to that was a small bowl of cold cereal for breakfast and one cracker at lunch. She woke up crying at 10:30pm with a fever. We gave her Tylenol and let her sleep with us until 3:30am. We tried transferring her to her crib several times, but she always became rather hysterical, and we were afraid she was going to wake up Ian. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep with a two year old in my arms during those hours, but that's an important part of being a mom - being willing to give up sleep so you can hold your child when she's sick. Since Ian woke up at 4:15 this morning I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night. Thankfully I had gone to bed at 8:40pm. I nursed Ian until 4:30 and then Paul helped me out (as he had slept more during the night than I had) and gave Ian a bottle. I should have Paul do that more often as he was able to get Ian back down at 4:50am! Ian woke up for the morning at 5:55 so he got more sleep last night than he has been getting lately although he still didn't get 11 hours total. His naps today were 35 and 25 minutes long. I keep him up for 3 hours in between his 2 naps, and then he's up for about 6 hours in between the end of his second nap and when he goes to bed. I really hope he gets out of this 4:15-5:00 wake up routine as soon as possible and also starts taking longer naps. I really, really dislike naps that are 20-30 minutes long!

He woke up this morning with a REALLY runny nose. Between the extra drool coming from his mouth lately and now his nose becoming a faucet, he is a mess! I am praying this clears up really soon or his surgery will have to be postponed. I've already been dreading it for 9.5 months. I'd really like to get it over with! I talked with my sister today (she was an OT), and she gave me some things to try with Ian. Hopefully we can get him eating solid foods in the near future. I tried cereal again today, and he threw up as always. He is starting to scoot around on his belly some (YAY!), and today I was totally shocked to see him cruising a little along the windowsill and the music cube. Through it all, he makes me smile every day with his deep belly laughter. Yesterday evening I took the kids to the park after dinner and there were some other kids there. For whatever reason Ian thought it was downright hysterical to watch the kids go down the slide, walk on the rope, etc. The kids were loving hearing his laughter so then they were hamming it up on purpose for his entertainment. It was so sweet!! I am praying that I am able to get more sleep tonight. If I don't, I will probably be paying Beth to watch Ian for a couple of hours during Nadia's nap tomorrow so I can take a nap.

The exhaustion did help me make up my mind regarding next semester even though we haven't made a firm decision yet regarding ivf #3. I sent an email to my department chair letting him know I would be requesting a 50% workload reduction for the spring semester. There's just too much on my plate right now. I'm behind on grading, need to gear up for another freezer cooking day, etc. I'm looking forward to a lighter load next semester. I certainly won't be bored, even if I'm "only" working part-time.

No comments: