Tuesday, May 3, 2011

You think I'd learn

#1 Not to attempt to put Ian in his crib for his nap. It's been a few weeks since he's taken a nap in his crib. I fed him three times this morning before we left for the playground. The forecast called for thunderstorms this afternoon, so I decided to take the kids this morning instead.  When we got back home at noon, I decided to take him up to his crib. He had been nodding off in his highchair at the end of his third meal (at 10am) so I knew he was tired. Since it had been 2 hours since he had been fed, I didn't think he'd throw up. He cried for 10 minutes and feel asleep. Nadia and I ate lunch, and then she said she was tired and wanted to go to bed. I didn't object to putting her down a little early as it meant both kids were down at the same time. I decided to use the very rare "kid free" time to start cooking dinner. I was cooking some ground beef and boiling some water for pasta when Ian woke up. He only slept 30 minutes. I never got him back to sleep. His nap is usually 2 hours long (sometimes longer) when he sleeps on me. Considering he woke at 5:15am (which was an improvement over yesterday when he woke up at 4:30am), that's just not enough sleep. Over a span of 15 hours he slept only 30 minutes. That would be unheard of for Nadia, even at almost 3 years old. For now, I'll stick with holding him for his naps. I have become quite adept at doing many things while holding him while he sleeps including picking Nadia up and washing her hands after she eats lunch, going to the bathroom, taking Nadia up for her nap, etc. The skills we acquire as moms!

#2 To stick to the new rule and only feed Ian in his highchair. The last few days I haven't had to clean any vomit off the carpet, couch, or myself. It's only been on Ian's clothes, his bib, highchair, and the floor under his highchair. This has been the main benefit thus far of the new feeding regimine. After his short nap, I fed him lunch. During one of the times he was drinking a little milk, I went back to cooking dinner. He started throwing up. He threw up quite a bit. I cleaned him up, took off his pants, and decided to wait on cleaning up the highchair and bib. I had to put him down for a second to drain the pasta, and the poor guy screamed. There was a little milk left. I decided to hold him and let him drink that and hoped he'd fall back asleep. The geyser erupted. I have no idea how so much could come out of him since he had already thrown up so much just a few minutes earlier. He threw up all over the couch, carpet, himself, me, etc. It was one of those moments where I didn't know where to start with the cleanup process. Hopefully I'll remember this incident the next time I'm tempted to hold him while he drinks a little milk.

#3 To use sunscreen on the kids. I am not good at remembering sunscreen, unless we're at the beach. Thus far I haven't seen any sunburn on either child from our daily trips to the park. We usually go in the late afternoon which probably helps in terms of the sun not being at its peak. I am not sure if it's because we were there in the morning today or because we went twice, but Ian did get a little sunburn on his cheeks today. I felt badly when I noticed it. I need to get in a routine of putting some sunscreen on their faces before we head outside.

One other random thing I learned today is that Ian doesn't like the taste of formula any more. Our neighbor gave us a can (a sample she picked up at her daughter's pediatrician's officce) earlier this week. I'm still planning to sneak a little into his milk as I know it has lots of stuff that's good for him in it, but I won't attempt to give him straight formula (plus cereal) again. Oh and Regina, you asked about his weight. Two weeks ago he was weighed at the urologist, but that was with clothes and shoes on. Dr. Williams weighed him on Thursday with only a diaper on, and he weighed 23lb 3 oz. He was pleased as Ian's weight and height are both at the 25th percentile. He attributed Ian's weight (and the fact he's not anemic) to the fact that I've been putting cereal in all of his bottles/sippy cups for the past 5 months.

No comments: