Tuesday, March 20, 2012

3 Steps Forward, 2 Steps Back

I had my bloodwork done this morning. The lab called at 7:30am and said that they did more research and found out that this type of bloodwork has to be done before 9:00am on Tuesday or Friday. So much for trying to avoid a special trip. It turns out the Red Cross processes this type of bloodwork. Paul said I should go today rather than waiting until Friday so the kids and I were out the door at 8:00am. It took two people and three sticks for them to fill the two large blood bank vials. They gave the kids each two big stickers. It seems the baby is probably safe for at least 8 more weeks from what I've read. I'm going to call the OB office this afternoon just in case the results are available although I realize it might be too early.  I definitely have a different attitude toward the NICU at the moment. As much as I've said I want to avoid the NICU this time around, the NICU would be 100 million times better than a stillborn baby.

After going fourteen days without any accidents, Ian had four accidents in the past seven days. The first two (last Tuesday and Thursday) were while he was napping in his crib. I think that happened because last week he started sleeping for 45 minutes most days. To most that would be a very short nap, but for Ian that represented a 50% increase! The shock was on Sunday that he had an accident during children's church. He told someone he had to go, but he went in his pants before they actually got him on the toilet. The reason this was a shock was because since he started potty training almost 3 months ago, he only had one accident in public (at ladies Bible study), and that was a couple of months ago. The regression continued yesterday. He was playing outside in the backyard (fenced in) by himself, and he pooped in his pants. Today is a new day, and hopefully he won't have any accidents today.
He's also been going backwards with eating. Coconut milk yogurt is no longer a breeze to feed him. I fet him a pureed banana for lunch yesterday instead. Karen thinks maybe the strawberry flavor is too acidic for him because he was wincing when he swallowed the yogurt. I can't wait until feeding him doesn't involve screaming. Just 12 more days until he starts at Hershey Medical.
I'm going into work earlier than usual today because we're conducting interviews for two tenure track searches for our department this week. I'll be going in three days this week (Tu/Th/Fri), one day next week (Fri), and then not again until the first week of May due to living in Hershey for 4 weeks. Other professors are teaching 6 of my classes, and I'll be teaching two nights via Wimba (online). Last night I finished a project the department chair asked me to do (19 pages typed). It felt good to cross that off my to do list.

No comments: