Friday, March 30, 2012

Big Girl Bike

Nadia had her first experience riding a two-wheeled bike (with training wheels) at my parents' house this week. My mom worked with her on Wednesday and Thursday, and she improved a LOT in her steering skills over those two days. My mom was setting up obstacles and such to help her work on her skills. Nadia was very proud of her ability to ride a "big girl bike." She rode that bike for quite a few hours!

Part of the reason I decided to leave a bit later yesterday was so the kids could have their naps before we left since Ian didn't nap in the car on the way down on Tuesday. They did nap at my mom's house (Ian slept about 45 minutes, and I woke Nadia up after she had slept for 2 hours). The irony was that Ian did nap on the way home in the car as well. Go figure. Today he slept for 90 minutes while Grandma and PopPop were babysitting. Amazing! So it seems it only took 27 months for him to learn to nap more than 20-30 minutes. We shall see what he does at the feeding clinic during the month of April.

This morning we went to a "Kid's Market" consignment sale. We showed up 30 minutes after it opened, and I could tell a lot of stuff had already been purchased. The place was swamped! Unfortunately almost all the maternity clothing was size medium OR was for fall/winter. I only bought one shirt. Although I wear medium or large when I'm not pregnant (I'm usually a size 10 or 12), the last two pregnancies I wore large or x-large when pregnant, even though supposedly you're supposed to wear your pre-pregnancy size. The prices at this sale were all over the map. Some stuff was WAY overpriced - as in I could buy that stuff in brand new condition for less! I did buy 3 little cars for Ian, 1 puzzle for Ian, and 1 book for Nadia (those 5 items were $1 total).

Then we went to our local library (not the one we usually go to). The librarian actually read three books! This was a big improvement as sometimes she only reads one book, and she was able to manage the group even though there were a lot more kids than usual - another improvement. Then the kids went outside for an egg hunt. Last year the eggs were filled with candy, stickers. etc. This year the eggs were empty, but when they came in they were able to redeem their eggs for one piece of candy and one book. Surprise, surprise, Nadia picked a princess book. I was hoping to take pictures of the egg hunt, but Ian started screaming. Evidently he wasn't in the mood for picking up plastic eggs! So I had to hold him and couldn't take pictures of Nadia. If the weather cooperates, we'll take the kids to another egg hunt (less than 1 mile from our house) at noon tomorrow. If that happens, hopefully I'll get some pictures. I forgot to take my camera to Maryland, which is why I don't have any pictures of Nadia riding the Dora bike.

I arrived home from work around 8:15pm this evening.  I met with 4 advisees from 2-3pm and then participated in a promotion committee meeting from 3:00-7:15pm. I don't plan on returning to campus until the first week of May due to Ian's stay at Hershey Medical. I didn't hear anything from the OB about my bloodwork. Hopefully I'll hear something next week. Considering I'm accustomed to getting my results the same day the blood is drawn, it feels ridiculous to need to wait 2 weeks.

No comments: